• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone have experience rewiring the injector harness on a 2001 XJ?

01_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've been dealing with my XJ intermittently misfiring on the #6 cylinder for well over a year now. Usually, I can park and move the wires on the injectors a bit and it's good to go for a while, and it usually only happens when it's hot out. The other day the problem got a bit worse, and no jiggling of the wires is helping now.

Early on, I thought it may be a heat soak problem, but this is happening consistently on the #6 injector only. All injectors were replaced last summer. Now, looking at the harness, some of the wires are in pretty bad shape, with a couple small splits in the insulation, and some of the pairs of wires have their insulation fused together (presumably due to the heat?). When the misfire starts, I'm getting the P0206 and P0306 codes.

Has anyone dug into the harness to replace the wires? Uggh, I hate dealing with wiring and am not looking forward to having to replace stuff in there, but it's seeming like that's going to be the only option here. One thing I haven't done is replace the CPS, but I'm not really sure that could be the problem.

NAPA ECH EC264 gets you a new connector and 19" of new wire.

Good place to start.

I am getting similar misfiring going on with the CEL being triggered and similar codes. I was under my hood yesterday working on other issues and noticed most if not all the fuel injector wires are solid as a rock, presumably from too much heat. I really don't want to replace the whole harness, thanks for the link to the Napa parts. Knowing the connectors are available with wire, good place to start I guess.

Back