• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tilt column access?

AZjeepin1

NAXJA Forum User
My tilt column has gotten BAD. To the point where it feels like it's barely hanging onto the rest of the column. Is there a way to get inside there and tighten things up, or does this movement mean I have to get a new column?

Lets play a game.

You pretend that you are the only one that knows what year/engine, etc., that you are asking about.

We will all pretend you never asked a question until you provide at least the bare minimum of information about your vehicle.

It's a fun little project.

Keep track of how it all comes apart, it can be a bit of a puzzle.

There is a video on the net of a guy fixing a Chevy column, I kept going back to the video.

Only thing I got wrong was the high beam linkage, I need to crack it back open one day to fix that.

You will need a Lisle 19940 Pivot Pin Remover tool--about $6.00 on Amazon.com or your local auto parts store might carry it.

Also, a Steering Wheel Lock plate Removal tool is handy, Powerbuilt 648466 for under $7.00 on Amazon.com.

Oof. GM columns make me mad when I have to work on them.

I swapped in a non-tilt instead of screwing with it. Glad I did.

Worth noting: if you go non tilt get the ignition switch with it.

They are mounted 180 degrees from each other and so the terminal pattern is flipped, so off becomes start, start becomes off. It sucks to find that out after installing the column and have to spend another 20min pulling the dash apart and standing on your head to swap the switch again.

Worth noting: if you go non tilt get the ignition switch with it.

They are mounted 180 degrees from each other and so the terminal pattern is flipped, so off becomes start, start becomes off. It sucks to find that out after installing the column and have to spend another 20min pulling the dash apart and standing on your head to swap the switch again.

it's just as easy to twist the harness and plug 180* when you install it. It's only a frustration if you didn't know about it until you get the column installed and then try to plug it up.

it's just as easy to twist the harness and plug 180* when you install it. It's only a frustration if you didn't know about it until you get the column installed and then try to plug it up.

The switch itself is different, at least on my 91. The springy "must turn and hold" portion of the switch intended for the start position ended up in the off position and it could be left in the start position (now at the off detent on the actual switch) forever. It wasn't good.

I know I swapped a solid column from an MJ into a tilt XJ ('89 into an '88) and just turned the entire plug assembly "upsidedown" and everything worked well. The new column did still have the MJ switch, but the terminals were just located opposite of each other and the upsidedown plug fit fine.

I always use the elcamino website instructions. Renting or buying the special tools will save you time and frustration. They are well worth the few dollars spent.

The specs for your Cherokee are always relevant, given various versions, changes/updates and options over the XJ's 17 year lifespan.

Back