• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end popping and dead spot in steering

Khary23

NAXJA Forum User
Problem 1 I have a dead spot in my steering when turning I the right. It takes a good third of a turn in the wheel until the tires start to move. I had my cousin move the wheel and everything is tight seems to work properly . The tie rod ends do seem to rotate very freely ,but no side to side movement is this ok.? I can also feel a clunking in the tie rod and dragline,but can not isolate it.

Problem 2 I took it for a car wash yesterday and afterwards I noticed a popping sound in the front when going around corners.

Any help diagnosing the problem would be appreciated.

1999 Cherokee
4" OME lift
31" tire
V8 ZJ tie rod
Iron man 4x4 adjustable track bar and adj control arms
New ball joints and u-joints passenger side
New moog TRE on the draglink

Check the intermediate steering shaft while someone turns the wheel back and forth for you. The shaft is the one that goes between the firewall and the steering box. They have a molded in rubber isolator that will part ways with the outer housing and cause for loose steering and some horrible noises while steering. If its bad your gonna have to replace it.

When I had the symptoms you describe I had play in my track bar, but you say your junk is tight...

If the other 2 spots look good (frame and steering) I would revisit the track bar. Make sure you check the frame and axle mounts while someone turns the wheel.

Not the popping though, I've had that twice and it was the double cardan joint on my rear drive shaft both times. Front could also cause it, best way to check is disconnect one and drive it to see if the popping goes away, then disconnect the other and drive.

What's the update on this, did you find the problem?

My 2000 XJ just developed a clunking/popping in the front when turning the wheel and so far I haven't spotted anything loose or worn under the front end.

Check and double check the nuts and bolts for the trackbar -especially the chassis side..

I had a good clunk front end when turning, trackbar bracket was moving. Tried tightening it as much as possible, even had the brace in there. No luck. Eventually took the brace off and replaced the hardware, tightened up, everything has been good for 3 years now no clunks. Not from the steering anywyas

When I had those symptoms, it was also my frame side track bar mount moving. It was an RE piece and I couldn't ever get it as tight as it needed to be. Ended up welding it to the frame, which held for a while. A brace to the other frame rail is recommended.

It could also be the frame rail splitting around the steering box, which mine did also. Needed to be plated and braced.

Back