• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squeaking on the front of the engine

BulletMaker

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm planning on doing some mods to the jeep, mainly to dump the mech fan, and go with an e-fan setup. However, All the write-ups I've seen for that are for later HO series jeeps, not the older renix (Mine is a 1990) which is going to complicate things quite a bit. I've replaced the waterpump and the idler bearing.

The sound currently seems like it may be coming from the WP/CS/fan idler area (definitely on the passenger side, near the bottom) I read a few other people say this was an issue with the harmonic balancer... I pulled off the belt, and fired it up, squeak went away. I have not replaced the belt yet, but want to isolate the source of this noise.

Also, after replacing the WP, noise got worse (possibly having a properly torqued belt). While I was doing the WP, I went through and spun everything, it all acted like it should, fan idler spun a few turns and then slowed to a stop, same with alternator, but I have a lifetime replacement alternator on it, so I may replace it. Either way, I'm tearing my hair out, and would totally appreciate a second opinion.

Back