• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How can i tell if engine really was replaced?

01-XJ-Sport

NAXJA Forum User
When i bought this 1999 XJ Classic the owner said in Jan of 2011 a 01 Wrangler I6 4.0 (same) engine and tranny was put in it. The odometer reads 291k, and the new motor supposedly has about 130k on it...is there anyway to tell? she said she had the paperwork to prove it but i forgot to ask for it. Any key differences? Thanks.

took a pic of this.....

397619_111560849017604_1600463532_n.jpg

It wouldn't/couldn't have a Wrangler tranny in it, assuming, of course, you're talking about an automatic. The AW4 wasn't used in a '97 or '01 TJ. Are the engine accessories in the correct places? Alternator on a Wrangler was up high, XJ down low. Let us know...

It wouldn't/couldn't have a Wrangler tranny in it, assuming, of course, you're talking about an automatic. The AW4 wasn't used in a '97 or '01 TJ. Are the engine accessories in the correct places? Alternator on a Wrangler was up high, XJ down low. Let us know...

its an auto...and she might have lied about the tranny...idk but the alternator is up high. Is that good?

High alt.=TJ. Good or bad? Don't know. Easier to replace! Otherwise, is everything running OK? That's all that matters. She already lied (or was lied to) about the age of the engine, and most folks don't know much about a tranny, except on a model-specific site such as this, so it looks like you probably have a 300k mile tranny in your rig. Not sayin' it's all bad, they are good gear boxes, but it would seem as though some things have been misrepresented. Hope you didn't pay too much. If you didn't, and it runs good, enjoy it.

High alt.=TJ. Good or bad? Don't know. Easier to replace! Otherwise, is everything running OK? That's all that matters. She already lied (or was lied to) about the age of the engine, and most folks don't know much about a tranny, except on a model-specific site such as this, so it looks like you probably have a 300k mile tranny in your rig. Not sayin' it's all bad, they are good gear boxes, but it would seem as though some things have been misrepresented. Hope you didn't pay too much. If you didn't, and it runs good, enjoy it.

i payed 2k for it...i hope i didnt buy a jeep with 300k on it....its in decent shape, paint is good, i did clean the interior and took the headliner out and put new seats in...:shocked:

Not to mention that a 2001 Wrangler has the 0113 head, and distributorless ignition as well.

uh? how can i tell? ugh this sucks

mileage doesn't matter much in my experience. some of the biggest pieces of crap i've owned were low mileage. some of the best had 200-300k on them, including my jeep.

mileage doesn't matter much in my experience. some of the biggest pieces of crap i've owned were low mileage. some of the best had 200-300k on them, including my jeep.

well i was hoping this had what she said it had, my 01 xj is my baby and dd and i was gonna lift this one and stuff and sell my 01, but if she lied then my 01 with 164k is 10 times better.

well i was hoping this had what she said it had, my 01 xj is my baby and dd and i was gonna lift this one and stuff and sell my 01, but if she lied then my 01 with 164k is 10 times better.

your 01 most likely has the 0331 head.

so it probably isnt as good. :roflmao:

The 0331 head on an '01 motor isn't an issue. The problem seems to be mainly in the '00, and even so, it's been overblown by the internet. Anyway, if the motor has 150K on it, it's well past the time/run limit that the 0331 is going to pop by.

A wrangler trans isn't a direct bolt-in for a XJ. The transfer case is clocked at a different angle, about 10deg. higher.

If the Wrangler engine has been properly converted to the XJ, I'd call it a plus. As long as the wiring harness is properly modified(not hacked), the AC line set was competently modified, and nothing is hitting anywhere, then good to go.

Back