• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What gives and what should be stocked. 2.0 Steering

88trailcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
Part 2 in a series. Trying to get the XJ to a reasonably reliable trail rig for 2-3 day trail runs. This post focuses on the steering. Sitting on 33's, Ected lockers, 4:56 gears, driving style is light on the skinny, crawl over or go around.

Current steering is JCR 1-ton. Seems to be beefy.

I see they offer a TRE end set, seems that would be a more than reasonable trail back up parts kit.

Running stock steering pump/box bolted through JCR frame tie ins. Seems pre run maintenance/inspection is reasonable preparation.

Questions:
- Does pre run inspection/maintenance of power steering system provide reasonable expectation of trail run performance?
- Would carrying TRE set be a reasonable trail parts kit?
- what else is common trail failure or damage with regard to the steering?

Just noticed all your threads.... :gag:

I would say inner and outer plates for the steering box and spare TREs would be fine.

At least thats what I carry and I feel good about it. My Currie TRE at the pitman arm wears out every two years it seems. I would like to carry a pitman arm too. $20 is cheap insurance and I have seen a few break

Back