• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Currently being made a fool of... Any help?

MrAnderson

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to do my vc gasket and the covers nice and wedged in there and I can seem to get it out(it's loose just trapped) :(

71D7B4DA-2A07-4434-8F91-84C7A1EBBD5D-11996-000011235405235E_zps67984a18.jpg

Taking this off would help out alot but I have no clue how to disconnect it

Also if I can't get this thing outta here there no going back is there? Now that I've loosened it and whiled it all around I'm f'd aren't I?

That tube just slips into the rubber piece. The plastic on the elbow might be brittle, and the rubber piece might be pretty stiff, but there's no mechanical fastener or anything.

So I should just be able to pull it out? There's two of these, the other slide right off but was a tube going to my intake, this one wont budge and the other end goes into a bolt in my manifold

It's not coming off by pulling on it that's fer sure imma end up breaking something... Haha one little pipe has turned this job into a disaster/failure. I'm just gonna put it back together

Yep, but if you're worried about breaking it, you could just pop the other end off the nipple in the manifold. I replaced the grommet the elbow fits in, and everything was pretty stiff, but it came apart without breaking anything.

Twisting while pulling may help. The plastic elbow itself is probably pretty darn brittle.

Or disconnect it at the manifold end like hubs said and rotate the whole thing parallel with the valve cover.

Moving the wiring harness out of the way may help getting the VC out as well.

Remove the plastic tubing from the elbow and that at least will leave the valve cover free to be removed. Once out the grommets & elbows can be destroyed for removal. You can get replacements from Advance, Autozone, Dealer, etc. You really want to replace them anyway.

pull it out where it goes in the intake manifold. MUCH easier than pulling the elbow off the VC. The little tube literally slides onto a fitting on the intake manifold no fasteners. I tried pulling the elbow out on the forward vent and cracked it right off. Not a catastrophic failure if you break any of these pieces but it does mean a trip to your local Jeep dealer or junkyard for parts as these are not Autozone kind of parts.

You can get the entire vacuum harness--it comes in two sections--at NAPA.

That line that runs to your intake manifold "bolt" is the metered orifice side of the PCV system--pull the line off the "bolt" and use a stiff wire or drill bit to clean the port out.

Looks like a 95/96 or later due to the stamped metal valve cover, IIRC NAPA only has the vacuum harness up till '90.

Use a right angle pick, and spray some lube in there, while you work around the airbox side.
should help loosten things up so you can get the tube free.
x3 on pulling it from the airbox side

You can get the entire vacuum harness--it comes in two sections--at NAPA.

That line that runs to your intake manifold "bolt" is the metered orifice side of the PCV system--pull the line off the "bolt" and use a stiff wire or drill bit to clean the port out.

holy mother of God-- where you been hiding?? :patriot:

holy mother of God-- where you been hiding?? :patriot:

My sediments exactly...thought somebody had dredged up another old post. :anon:

To the OP. Cut the fat rubber hose lengthwise with a razor knife and peeel it off, then fix it properly.

Per Joe P, the vac hose is sold in three sections, you can buy one section, or all 3. Who ever did that was either in a hurry or low on cash. That section has a metered orofice at the VC. Bigger is not necessarily better here.

I can tell a lot of you guys are RENIX fans :jester:

That is an OBD I or II rig and the fat hose is factory, and you can't buy the vac harness at NAPA. You can find a dozen of them at the junkyard and pay pennies (if anything) for the parts you need though.

Right as usual.

However, the front and rear valve cover elbows and grommets are available at NAPA.

Hey Shorty--been busier than a one-legged man in an "A"-kicking contest.

Back