• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Super Stealth Winch

RumbleGoat

NAXJA Forum User
A tiny bit of background first off: My project was designed to be a few things:
1. Cheap
2. Daily Drivable even when it is being worked on
3. A SLEEPER

I've been wheelin' for many, many years and really wanted to get back to driving rather than pointing and shooting my Jeep. So, so far, my little XJ has locked axles with 3.55 gears (from an Auto, but it is a manual), 760x Shafts, external slave cylinder mod, 3" lift, 31s, rock sliders, leather seats. . .you know, the basics. I wheel it at least 1 time per month and drive it to work every single day. OK. . .on with the project.

So. . .I needed a winch, but the nature of the "project" wouldn't allow me to put a big ol' gnarly winch bumper on the front of Orville (that's my XJ's name because it sounded like a popcorn popper when I go it). I wanted it to be as stealthy as possible and as light as could be. There is a lot of internet lore around XJ's ripping off their unibodies with winches. . .it is almost complete BS. I did see a stock bumper get ripped off by a tow strap, but let's face it: A winch is held on by 4x 3/8" grade 5 bolts in single sheer in EVERY case. /end/

so, I went to work with my tape measure and all the shiz I could steal, borrow, and beg (again, the theme here is CHEAP and STOCK(ish) looking)

Tow hook mounts, carved up with a skinny wheel and flipped side to side, and a TJ winch plate (TJ frame rails and XJ unirails are the same width. . .who woulda thunk?? LOL) netted me this:
2012-12-16_15-24-04_886.jpg

The tow hook brackets, in addition to using the stock bumper bolts, use 1 1/2" bolt all the way through the uniframe rail on either side. So. . .6x 3/8 grade 8 bolts and 2x 1/2" bolts of unknown grade (came with the kit).

Then. . .I put it up to see what was what. . .this is AFTER about a million hours of laying on my back with a tape measure and my cell phone.

2012-12-16_15-16-54_799.jpg

Obviously, some stuff is in the way there. So. . .

2012-12-24_13-35-15_974.jpg

And then some creative cutting on the bumper to clear the fairlead, etc. . .

2012-12-24_12-50-16_991.jpg

It is all bolted up now. I won't be using a roller fairlead because I'm getting a few ' of synthetic. The combination of the way the plate came out and an aluminum fairlead makes it so I can put the license plate over the whole works.

Here's what it looks like with the winch. One thing you can't see here is that the winch plate, held on by 4 1/2" grade 8 bolts, just drops straight down with the winch attached for service. The clutch handle is rotated forward (I'm still thinking about a "key" to actuate it) and I'm going to clock the motor backwards so I can more easily get the hot wires off with it still under the Jeep.
2012-12-24_14-52-24_233.jpg

The license plate covers the whole center area pretty well. . .And here is how it looks all done and put together. There are still a few things to tweak, but they won't affect how it looks from the outside. One change here is that the license plate will either get a couple of 1/4 turns or just captured nuts so I can zip it off when I hit the trail. Day to day, the shackle will just hang behind the license plate.

2012-12-26_09-38-57_359.jpg

Now, please understand that it is NOT done. I need to get the winch wired up and get a steering box brace in there. The solinoid pack will live under the hood and the winch will be hard wired to a switch on the dash. If I ever feel like I need to control it externally, I'll get a wireless set up. The brace along with the big chunk of 1/4" plate should be stiffer than the chunk of factory crossmember that I removed. That said, I'm going to beef up the front bumper bolts to take a little of the stress off of those two layers of sheetmetal.

IF you were to want to really reinforce the unibody, you could use something like C-Rock plates along with an aftermarket bumper and good motor mounts, but that didn't meet my design parameters.

Please. . .flame away.

Other than I can't see how the winch plate mounts to the tow hook brackets it looks great.

I like the idea of not knowing it's there.

All I did was flip the tow hook plates from side to side so that the mounts face inward. Had to carve them up a little to clear, but the shape is unaltered. Then, the TJ winch plate simply bolts on. TJ plates use the holes in the TJ factory frame rail that are intended for tow hooks as a mounting location so everything almost magically lines up. Of course, since TJs and XJs share their front suspension, it makes sense that the frame rails are the same distance apart.

Here's a pic to show how it all goes together:

2012-12-24_12-52-51_892.jpg

Looks decent but I would want more attachment and plate spread out over the sides of the unibody then what those tow hook brackets offer IMO

You could very well be right. However, I'm willing to give it a go. I promise you that a full throttle assault with a kinetic rope exerts far more pressure than an 8k winch. My experience is that the tow hook brackets are the first thing to bend. If they were connected from side to side, that wouldn't be an issue.

One more thing about my little white XJ project: It is disposable. I paid $1200 for it a year and a half ago and have driven it every day since. . .so it is free as far as I am concerned. The plan is that the good ideas will go to the next XJ and the bad ideas will get crushed.

How hard is it to free spool it?? Also, i'm not so sure that winch mounting is gonna hold..

Well. . .right now it is not impossible, but a PITA. I am working on an idea for a "key" to actuate the clutch. Basically, I clocked the clutch handle forward so I can drill a hole in the bumper and stick a T handle through the hole to catch the clutch lever. Just haven't gotten that far yet.

As far as it holding. . .again, you may be right. I'm optimistic though.

It's a good idea, but being an engineer, my gut says you need to beef up the mounting quite bit. The way it is now, it looks like it will tilt as you put a load on it. Good luck and keep the pix coming as you finish it up.

It's a good idea, but being an engineer, my gut says you need to beef up the mounting quite bit. The way it is now, it looks like it will tilt as you put a load on it. Good luck and keep the pix coming as you finish it up.

That is my biggest concern also. I'm honestly not worried about the uniframe. I'm worried about the mount tilting or twisting upwards. That is 100% the problem with tow hook brackets used how they are intended. I'm hoping that the combination of connecting the two sides together and the fact that the "pivot" points for the force are now 1/2" thick (2x 1/4" plate) will prevent that with only 8k of force. I may have a solution. When I have it back apart this weekend, I'll see if I can work it out. I am definitely NOT going to snatch block it back to itself.

BTW: an ME is helping me with this and will duplicate the final version for his XJ.

I think you got a good start there, but I'm with Old Man in thinking you need to beef it up a little. I don't think you're going to rip it off with the first hard pull, but I'm betting that over time it will tweak the mounting plate, and possibly tweak and or bent the tow hook mounts. Just keep an eye on it, and keep yourself safe.

I think you got a good start there, but I'm with Old Man in thinking you need to beef it up a little. I don't think you're going to rip it off with the first hard pull, but I'm betting that over time it will tweak the mounting plate, and possibly tweak and or bent the tow hook mounts. Just keep an eye on it, and keep yourself safe.

That's the plan.

The next step in the project is to do some more laying under it with a tape measure thinking about force vectors and such. My current thought is to tie the tow hook brackets into the bottom of the uniframe rails and then add a couple of ribs to the winch plate to keep it from twisting. It wouldn't add much weight but I think it would help the structure quite a bit. Turning it into a boat anchor is simple unacceptable.

Back