• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom Trackbar help

G2WANIT

NAXJA Forum User
After adjusting my bumps, trimming steering box brace bolts, adjusting my sway bar links, relocating my shock mounts and raising my draglink, I have FINALLY determined that the loud *WHAM* I'm hearing in the woops is my trackbar mount making contact with my truss. Yeah, these things take me a while sometimes :looser:

I think the best thing to do is replace my RE trackbar mount with a custom/homemade one. I could really use some pointers on materials to use.

I was thinking 3/16" plate welded to the outside and bottom of the frame with 1/4" for the drop bracket portion. I'll keep the RE brace to maintain frame rigidity. For joints I have a ruff-stuff 7/8" X 3/4" Rod End/heim I plan to use on the frame end and the axle end is set up for a 2" Summit Machine Flex Joint so I figured I'd get one of those.

My questions:

1. Are my metal thicknesses alright? (I have 3/16" & 1/4" laying around the garage...)
  2. Is the Rod End for the frame joint a good choice? (double sheer of course)
  3. Can I get away with just the Rod End and no misalignment spacer on the frame? (I need to keep it as narrow as possible to fit into the space between the truss and the high-steer tierod.)
Here is a picture of my junk so you know what I'm working with:

imagew2.aspx

Thanks in advance for any input - also if anyone has a link to a build thread that would be great. I've seen a couple threads but I don't have a dimple die press so I can't replicate those exactly...

just be aware you can't have a bend in your track bar and have heims on both ends. tried it, it never stayed put, always rotated down eventually and clipped my diff. i suggest having a bushing on one end in that case. also, since you're making your own bracket, you can have it outboard of the frame rail so that you can make your track bar and drag link the same length.

Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't thought about that. I do think that I'll make my new trackbar straight. My axle side is in the lowest hole in the pic so I can raise that so it won't make contact with my diff. I plan to put it on the bumps and get the measurements so I can keep it off the diff, truss and oil pan... hopefully while keeping it relatively in line with the draglink.

I had been thinking about moving it outboard of the frame but was worried about binding with my springs - I suppose this isn't much of a problem?

i have coilovers so i'm in a different boat, but i'm sure you can figure something out. doesn't seem impossible.

Back