• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HD vs. rusty's shackle relocation

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I don't want bias or opinionated answer, just true fact.

I've looked at both and I've read about both, they're the same price just built a little different. My question though is the rusty's just fine and the HD just over built? Or is the rusty's crappy and the HD is normal?
The reason for asking is because the HD has the tab that goes and connects it to your hitch, now I'm only going to be going to a 33" tire and mild to medium off roading so to me this extra stuff seem to be either over kill or just to be safe scenario. Am I wrong to think that??
I want to buy one but I don't want one that's going to be over kill for my jeep that I don't plan to super bash or go crazy on.

I haven't seen/heard of Rustys relocation brackets, however, I do have a set of the HD Offroad brackets on my XJ and I would definitely recommend them. Why settle for "good enough" when you can have the piece of mind provided by the "overkill" of the HD design.

I have HD Offroad and like them a lot so far, I have had them about 4 months. They are paired with BDS leafs and shackles.

If painting is too much work, you better find another hobby

Lol I could care less about paint, my point being is that I don't want to buy something that's more trouble and over kill for something it might never see that much stress or wear. It's like adding racing tuned high end shocks to a daily commuter car that never see's high speed turns and such. It's over kill and pointless. My rig is never going to do the truck crasher Moab or anything extreme, just mild to medium off raiding at browns camp and such

Lol I could care less about paint, my point being is that I don't want to buy something that's more trouble and over kill for something it might never see that much stress or wear. It's like adding racing tuned high end shocks to a daily commuter car that never see's high speed turns and such. It's over kill and pointless. My rig is never going to do the truck crasher Moab or anything extreme, just mild to medium off raiding at browns camp and such

RC cant even produce simple quality control arm bushings, let alone a set of shackle brackets, just get the HD engineering ones and be done with it

Go HD. I've seen pictures where RC has failed. The design is flawed where there can be too much leverage put on the stock shackle boxes and would literally rip it downward.

Go HD. I've seen pictures where RC has failed. The design is flawed where there can be too much leverage put on the stock shackle boxes and would literally rip it downward.

Now this is the info I'm looking for, but what about the HD? The instal thread for it says that because it sits a little lower that welding would be best to keep it from bending or rolling or something lol

Brian has always said it's best to weld it after you adjust it to where you want it especially with his V1 design. But people have run them without welding.

We run the HD ones on the Team NAXJA KOH XJ. We had them in unwelded last year, they really do help rear end performance a lot and are beefy, but I would not call them overbuilt. It is a quality product that fit well the first time and did its job.

Now that we're settled into them, we have welded them for this years race - but saw no ill effect from not welding them up.

I have no personal experience with the Rough Country product. I have had good experience with RC in the past, but don't feel a need to look beyond HD for this one.

Well it looks like from the answers that are technical(thank you guys) I'm honing to go with the HD ones then. Curious though, when installing them and having a tow hitch on. Do I have to take the tow hitch off or what? The install thread didnt really go in to detail about that. And does the hitch sit on top of the plate or under it?

Well it looks like from the answers that are technical(thank you guys) I'm honing to go with the HD ones then. Curious though, when installing them and having a tow hitch on. Do I have to take the tow hitch off or what? The install thread didnt really go in to detail about that. And does the hitch sit on top of the plate or under it?

You can install them above or below the hitch, whichever is easier for you. Installing them below the hitch will get you a tad more lift due to the mounting being moved down the thickness of the hitch.

BTW by buying the H.D. Offroad ones you are supporting american manufacturing.

That argument only works when you're asking "should i pay 2x as much for brand B over brand A?". In this case the two you're comparing are the same price, and one is clearly a better design than the other.

You will never find yourself out on a trail thinking "I wish i had bought the weaker part for the same money".

id say go with the battlement fab ones! bolts on to existing shackle boxes and uses the frame rails as well. the one main advantage is that it converts to a yj style shackle to allow for limitless setups, also no need to cut the end of the boxes once you set it up i have pics of mine installed if you want to see them in action.

i run the hd ones, and like them.
A bit more work to install ( lining up gas tank skid, hitch, 2x4 bumper mounts,) but they will likely outlast this jeep

Back