• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

-5 starter won't turn

Tobyxj

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday and today it was -5 in the morning. I turn the key and all I get is a click in did the wire to solenoid straight to batt and still just a click. Took other car to work it warmed up by lunch I tryed it and fired right off both days. It has a new batt Carquest extreme batt new batt cables it's a 90two door RENIX 4.0 anybody have this problem or input on the topic ???

Well, what kind of oil is in it?
You might need something thinner.
I've heard of guys having trouble with the oil freezing into jello consistency and the starter won't turn it over until it warms up a bit. -5 might not be cold enough to do that, but then, it might be.
Get it good & warm, give it an oil change with 5w30 and see how it goes.
Also possible is that the contacts for power to the starter motor are fading & only close circuit when warmer. I see that a fair ammount with symptoms you are describing. Rebuild the contacts or replace the starter.
When you say new battery, how new? You'll also want to google search how to check electrolyte levels in the battery & do that.

Oil is 10/30 only a mounth old battery is a mounth or so old I took it with me to work and load tested it checked out good yesterday when it first did it I cleaned the surfaces on starter both + - on batt and by the dip stick

Oh and I turned the motor by fan belt and it made a different click then after three trys later fired off

I brought a battery in side last night put on charger just to be 100% it's charged and not froze -1 this morning and still click swapped battery with one from inside same thing !!!!

This isn't perfect, but it should help someone. Most cold weather Crank issues are fixed at step 1 or 2. Though a badly rusted Jeep with a bad starter could run you though the entire list ;)
-Ron

Basic No Crank Diagnostic Chart.

Do the Lights work on HIGH? NO >> Check Battery Connections, and Battery <Redo Step>

YES
V
V

Hit the key: Do the lights still work? NO>> Recheck and Clean Battery Connections <Redo Step>

YES
V
V
Check the connections at the starter, from the Fire Wall to the Engine.

Does it crank now? No >> Fix Connections <Redo Step>

Yes
V
V
Replace Starter

Did it fix it? NO >> (Skip Down **)

YES
V
V
Happy Days!

(**) Something very basic is missing here.
Check for voltage at the starter big lead to engine ground.
Check for voltage at the solenoid when someone turns the key to start.

Last edited:
I say it is time for a new starter. Is yours the original? If so I would look at getting a used one or buy a new one.

Because of the "Click" and no turn, I tend to agree. I've had a starter do that. I would warm it with a torch and it would take right off.

I posted the chart for all the folks who didn't post but wanted a quick diagnosis chart.

-Ron

To test the starter, just pour hot water on it in the morning to see if that helps.You'll find thats the problem i would think.

Mine drags when i am in the snow here in CA if i let it sit for to long.Talking hours.

HTH

This isn't perfect, but it should help someone. Most cold weather Crank issues are fixed at step 1 or 2. Though a badly rusted Jeep with a bad starter could run you though the entire list ;)
-Ron

Basic No Crank Diagnostic Chart.

Do the Lights work on HIGH? NO >> Check Battery Connections, and Battery <Redo Step>

YES
V
V

Hit the key: Do the lights still work? NO>> Recheck and Clean Battery Connections <Redo Step>

YES
V
V
Check the connections at the starter, from the Fire Wall to the Engine.

Does it crank now? No >> Fix Connections <Redo Step>

Yes
V
V
Replace Starter

Did it fix it? NO >> (Skip Down **)

YES
V
V
Happy Days!

(**) Something very basic is missing here.
Check for voltage at the starter big lead to engine ground.
Check for voltage at the solenoid when someone turns the key to start.

Yes high beams good no don't turn off have not checked the ground to firewall my jeep does have rust on floor I did replace both power and ground cables ground to dip stick got real clean

Either the solenoid on the starter is bad and about to completely quit, or the brushes in the starter are worn enough to only work hot. Cold does make stuff shrink, bind, etc!!!

I have save two Renix starters the last 3 years with new solenoids. I think they may be OEM starters still, so I would swap the solenoid, but the solenoids are almost as expensive as the rebuilt starters.

I am 100% sure it is the starter or solenoid from your posts. You have already covered the rest. Have you tried bypassing the solenoid (Jump it with a thick piece of iron) to see if the starter motor turns? Note it will turn and whizz, but not engage and crank the flywheel/flexplate to turn the 4.0 motor. If it whizzes, that would confirm it is the solenoid!

Last edited:
So I brought a starter home with me. I pulled it out hooked jumper cables to it click hit with hammer turned five time then click!!! So I just threw new one in and good to go will see what happens tomorrow morning

So it's been since the 22nd I put the starter in and it's started every day no problem I have the old starter that I have put the jumper cables on in the garage every day it spins with our a problem go figure !!!!

So it's been since the 22nd I put the starter in and it's started every day no problem I have the old starter that I have put the jumper cables on in the garage every day it spins with our a problem go figure !!!!

That is normal for one that has nearly shot armature brushes (carbon), or one that has a nearly burned out contacts inside the solenoid on top. It maybe both.

Back