• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 XJ - Water Leaking out of Bellhousing?

F150SAS

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 170k 4.0, Automatic, 4x4 with a water leak.

I have a small amout of water coming out of the belhousing, would this be a headgasket or a freeze out plug? Back of the head looks dry but it's really tight in this area so before pulling the trans I really want to pinpoint the leak.

Thanks, John

Water or coolant? Driver's side or passenger? Was AC or defrost (compressor) running? Recent rain?

There's a freeze plug on the back of the head, but I would make darn sure you eliminate any other possible leaks before you start pulling things apart. It's VERY common for the little heater control valve to crack and leak just enough to pee coolant all over the side of the engine block, then it runs down and looks like it's coming out the bellhousing. It can crack so slightly that you won't even notice it leaking if the rig is not running, or not warmed up enough, or the valve is all the way open.

Start it up and let it warm all the way up, and close that valve off (turn the temp to cold) and look carefully at the heater control valve (in the engine bay, it's part of the heater hose spider assembly next to the expansion tank).

Water or coolant? Driver's side or passenger? Was AC or defrost (compressor) running? Recent rain?

Looks to be just water. Heat have been running, center of bellhousing.

There's a freeze plug on the back of the head, but I would make darn sure you eliminate any other possible leaks before you start pulling things apart. It's VERY common for the little heater control valve to crack and leak just enough to pee coolant all over the side of the engine block, then it runs down and looks like it's coming out the bellhousing. It can crack so slightly that you won't even notice it leaking if the rig is not running, or not warmed up enough, or the valve is all the way open.

Start it up and let it warm all the way up, and close that valve off (turn the temp to cold) and look carefully at the heater control valve (in the engine bay, it's part of the heater hose spider assembly next to the expansion tank).

Will do. Have been getting min. heat out of the heater lately.

There's also a freeze plug in the back of the block between the engine and bell housing.

Thanks

Back