• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Questions about NSS, starter and no start

my65289stang

NAXJA Forum User
I have read a bunch on the "no start and NSS" which is why I managed to get as far as I did today but Im still puzzled.

stock 96 XJ 4.0 AW4 about 190K, ill try to keep it simple

Went to leave for work, no crank but plenty of voltage from the battery. I had my girlfriend try to crank it while I hit the starter with a hammer and it fired right up. So I grab a starter under warranty (the old one was 6 yrs old) and put it in. Fires right up multiple times.

Later that day the jeep wont even crank over again. Put in Neutral and it fires right up so I assume NSS. Take it apart, clean it, new grease, etc. Then the jeep would crank but not fire unless I gave it gas and kept giving it gas (never had to do that before). If I gave it gas it would start in P or N. So after a few tries without giving it gas, I kept my foot on the gas to let it run for 1 or 2 min. Then I shut it down and now it fires up right away in P or N like there was never an issue in the first place.

So the jeep seems to be starting and running now but I still don't know why the F@$# it wouldn't start in the first place. Im half way thinking that it is going to leave me stranded randomly. I was going to get a fuel pressure gauge but now Im thinking its not really necessary (save the $ for the holidays). Anyone had a similar experience or any ideas?

Thanks....sorry about the "no start" thread but thanks to NAXJA, a lot of the time I can solve problems on my XJ just from archived posts which has saved me quite a bit of time and $ since 2005 when I got my XJ

..... the jeep would crank but not fire unless I gave it gas and kept giving it gas (never had to do that before). If I gave it gas it would start in P or N. So after a few tries without giving it gas, I kept my foot on the gas to let it run for 1 or 2 min. Then I shut it down and now it fires up right away in P or N like there was never an issue in the first place.

Consider that you have/had both a starter and a battery/alternator/wiring issue.

For 1996+ Jeeps, the OBD-II engine computer (ECU/PCM) re-boots, and the idle settings are deleted, when you: (1) let the battery run down by leaving the lights or radio on, (2) disconnect the battery for an extended period of time, (3) when the battery goes bad and needs replacing, (4) when the alternator is not properly charging the battery, (5) or when poor battery connections result in a voltage drop at the PCM or poor battery charging.

Your symptoms are: (1) having difficulties starting the engine without depressing the gas pedal, and (2) the engine will have a low idle and probably stall unless you keep your foot on the gas pedal. (3) The ECU will relearn the idle settings after a short period of driving and the engine will start and idle normally.

Loose, corroded, or damaged battery cables or ground wires may also cause or contribute to the problem. Begin with basic trouble shooting of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables and replace them as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the battery and engine to the Cherokee's frame/body.

If the symptoms reoccur, you need to have your battery and/or the alternator load tested at a repair shop or auto parts store. This is usually a free service they offer to bring in potential customers. Even with low battery voltage, the engine will start, but the ECU can re-boot multiple times and a new battery may be required.

Back