• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What the?! creaking/Binding/nasty sound

jaybo

NAXJA Forum User
OK. So I've completed a rather hellish job (for me..) Both front hubs, one axle u-joint, one ball joint, sway bar end links, and a track bar..plus other minor details...I've got the front end together just tonight and have driven for a test and whoa! Dam* front end is making binding sounds like it is in 4wheel drive. Can anyone tell me why this is? I'm sure I put it all together well, had help on the tricky parts (smashing things out, pressing things in) from a mechanic friend...This ticks me. It wasn't like that when I took it apart. For all the sounds it does drive better tho...Even if the wheel is of center now, but that is easy to fix...just worried that these sounds mean somehow the front is engaged and I'm going to blow my new hubs/u-joint...If it is stuck in 4 wheel then why am i able to turn the front drive shaft when i'm parked?!
Thanks, I hope this makes sense as i'm now tired...
TIA

Track bar bolts not tight??
diff carrier bolts to proper torque?
Did you fill the diff? (don't laugh it happens!)
check these to start

it's a 89 4.0L. stock axles, raised 3" with a budget boost. not sure what "disco" means, or what the diff. carrier bolts are. The fluid is down slightly put not much...going to top it up today. track bar should be tight i cranked that sucker down..
thanks.

Ok IIRC an 89 has a disco axle which is vacuum disconnect. You need to make sure that that system isworking properly. second if you did wheel bearings be SURE beyond doubt that your axles are in all the way. I thought you did an axle seal but you didn't so don't worry about the carrier bolts. You tightened the trackbar bolt but did you retighten the upper trackbar bracket bolts? You have to do that from time to time and they need to be TIGHT!!!! crank your impact up all the way and let 'em have it. If you're using armstrong power get a "torque extension" for your breaker bar and give yourself a work out. Still have a problem, let us know.

Thanks for the help so far. I'm pretty sure that the axles are all the way in. I am also pretty sure that track bar/mount is tight as well. Do you have a procedure for testing the vacumn sys. to make sure that it is working properly?
thanks

My 91 is a non disco so I've never had to deal with that issue. The guys at Madxj should have some info on their website. Or check with Eagle here. A new post on this forum with a "how do I" should get you the info you need.

Back