• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New clutch, now it grinds when shifting into 2nd and 3rd??

1990Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all. I have a 1990 Cherokee Pioneer XJ. 4.0 IL6, 5 spd. The clutch recently needed replaced. That was definitely long over due. Works great. Now, when I shift from 2nd to 3rd I can feel the gears mildly grinding, not to extreme yet. It Definately feels like a tranny issue. Could it be low on fluid? Do I add the fluid underneath directly to the tranny? It's been a long time since I've had to do that but I do recall adding fluid at some point years ago. All help appreciated.

Take a look under the dash at the clutch master cylinder and see if it's leaking. A friend of mine had a similar problem. I replaced the master (the slave was OK) after bench bleeding it and adjusting the rod that connected the master to the linkage it shifted smooth and the clutch grabbed the correct distance from the floor. After the install I bled the slave until all the air was out and the fluid ran clear. It sounds like your clutch is not disengaging due to the increased thickness of the disc.

Changing the oil in the trans is never a bad idea, just make sure that you can remove the fill plug first before you drain it.

Back