• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater blowing air out of the cowl?

LYKOS

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and got nadda.

2001 auto

Temps running between 195 and 205.

My heater blows tepid,80*, at the center vent. Cooler in cold weather, hotter on modetate temp days.

On a long pull ot will heat up nicely.

I noticed tonight as the Jeep was warming up, with the heater going full blast that air is being blown out if the cowl below the windshield on the driver side.

What the heck??

Blender door gone bad, maybe?

No critters and the blower wiring has never been touched.

Yeah, I got some CLR to use in mine and I also cleaned out the actuator motor. that helped quite a bit.

I guess it can blow crap out of the cowl if the door doesn't function properly? That was a new one on me.

On the older models (dunno about the newer ones), the door forces air through the A/C evaporator when its on the COLD setting, and goes beside the heater core on HOT setting. Your condenser could be clogged up dunno

Also DO NOT USE CLR in your engine. It reacts negatively with aluminum and rubber at least.

Not in the engine, the heater core. :)

Ok

Coolant system is tight,

Heater core seems to be clear. I CLR'd it this afternoon and very little, if any, crap came out.

Blender door and motor is functioning properly.

Both heater hoses are HOT.

I'm still only getting 110* at the vent on the floor.

According to the FSM I should be getting 140* plus.

I replaced the entire cooling system, sans heater core, this summer. All I can think of at this point is the heater core is partially blocked and not functioning properly?

Yeah man, I flushef it both ways and the water flows freely. I didn't see any sort of blockage it all. I don't know what the inside of a heater core looks like so I didn't know if it could just go around a blockage or what...

It doesn't sound the the heater core is blocked then. However, it could still have a blockage in other rows.

I would also look at other blockages in the heated circuit. Check that metal tube going to the water pump. You might not have to take it off, but run something flexible down it, like a coat hanger. Check the hoses and finally the fitting on the t-stat housing.

What is the quantity of the air coming out of the vents? Are you sure the blend door isn't broken internally?

Ill double check that hard line tomorrow.

Other than that its all good.

Hence the reason I'm stumped.
:(

Stupid question, but I didn't see it addressed. Do you have the proper 195* Tstat in it? Is it old? Do the heater hoses get good and hot, or merely warm? When you're driving at highway speeds, with the blower off, or on the lowest setting, is there decent air flow? Could be a bunch of things, but of course you only notice the lack of heat when you need it most!

Back