• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

installing seat heaters

crimsondragon

NAXJA Forum User
So I've got everything installed and wired up. The only thing I need to wire in is power. After perusing FSMs from 97-00, and investigating my own XJ, I don't have plugs for power or heat. I've found the live wire that comes from the C6 connector for the power seats running through the door sill on the passenger side and I've confirmed I have the Circuit Breaker 29 (go figure). What I don't get is where the connector for the power seats are or where it's going. From what I can see it just runs straight to the back with the rest of the wires for the rear. I've checked the manuals and the only thing that F37 seems to power is just the power seats. Anybody have any clue where this wire should terminate? If nothing else, I guess I'll just trace it as far as I can go and see where it ends up.

Also, I haven't fully confirmed it yet but I believe I do have the wiring for stock seat heaters as well which is F83. I found a yellow/dark green wire coming from the C4 connector. Didn't have time to take it apart to verify the pin location. Does this wire run along the passenger side or driver side door sill? I've tried tracing the C4 harness and it just goes to the ignition it seems but it also might seem to branch off into the C200 and/or C201 connectors as well which seems to follow the FSM. Any help is appreciated. This is for a 1998 XJ Sport.

Last edited:
Here's a quick update. I decided to trace the wiring to the back. From the rear bench seat onward, the harness split into 2, one branching to the rear, the other crossing the vehicle to the driver side. Assuming that there's no reason for that wire to head to the rear I decided to follow where it branched to the left. After tearing up the interior on the driver side and tracing the harness further, I found it branched off again. This time it seemed to be a much smaller harness going back to the front. Strange, I thought. So I tore up the carpet as much as I could and what I unearthed was a practically rustless floor pan and a plug. Success! Upon looking at the color of the wires, it is indeed the elusive C316 plug for the power seats. Unfortunately, the other wire is a black ground which means I don't have heated seats wiring for this XJ. A minor setback since that means I will have to source another switched power to use and along with adding in a separate relay. This also means my XJ follows the 97 FSM closer than the 99.

For anyone wiring in power seats, the plug is indeed there. It's just on the floorboard behind the driver seat.

did you dig deeper? I found out with my 98 that the wiring is there pretty much for all the options available that year... it's just a matter of finding that elusive plug here and there... did not try the seat heaters though... not yet but I'm sure I'll get there once I install leather seats from a Limited. So far I instaleld heated mirrors and tweeters in front doors with no problem - wiring is there.
But... I had a problem installing fog lights - wiring for the switch and relay is there but then up front it's missing the plugs... oh well - when I take the front apart, I might find the darn plug.

Anyway that is good to know that it's wired pretty much for every option... well, almost.

I compared the 99 and the 97 manuals. The 97 manual did not list anything at all for seats heaters. Guessing it wasn't an option till later which is 99 since I found all the info in there about them, including how its wired. That ground wire would have been replaced with one for seat heaters and I believe everything would have grounded out through the chassis. Don't quote me on that though. I don't have the manuals with me at the moment.

If you're curious on how I wired it up, I had the passenger wire tap into the harness on the door sill. I had the driver attach to the plug. I then cut the main line at the fuse box, and put in a relay. I tapped the cigarette lighter as switched power for the relay ans grounded to chassis. This way it only turns on with key in to ACC and Run.

The plugs for the foglights are there. I believe they're next to the horn on the driver side and the passenger side should be where the vac canister is. Or close to it. I found them when I was digging for a way to wire up lights to the stock switch.

Last edited:
see... and I was digging and digging for those plugs and couldn't find them... anyway... thanks for the tip - cause I was just thinking about adding seat warmers to my seats - not that I'm a sissy... I just like my ass hot.
lol
:flamemad:

Back