• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater & A/C Blower Fan

2001JeepXJNS

NAXJA Forum User
On my 2001 XJ the blower fan is starting to go. Checked all connections, fuses, etc and everything seemed fine. I lightly tapped the fan with my hammer and it turned on and started running again. Im guessing its probably got bad bearings, loose magnets or something.

Anyhow, it looks like I have to move a bunch of crap to get to it, mainly air conditioning parts. That would suck because I would have get the AC charged if I take off part of the AC system...

This guy has a good write up http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/97-xj-blower-motor-removal-replacement-367612/

but his pictures dont show the components that are in the way. Anybody have any tips?

It's not hard to swap, the pictures in the original write-up are pretty accurate. Keep in mind, if you weren't aware, that the blower motor comes out from the engine bay side, not the interior side. You won't have to disconnect your A/C or anything like that, just the plug for the blower motor and three bolts/screws that hold it in. You might have to unbolt some stuff and carefully move it aside, but you won't need to discharge the A/C.

47809039.jpg

This is not mine but looks similar. At the upper left hand side there appears to be some stuff that must be removed?

This is not mine but looks similar. At the upper left hand side there appears to be some stuff that must be removed?

The A/C stuff will pivot on the tube fittings. Disconnect or remove the brackets as needed, swing the receiver/drier (?) and/or leak detection pump out of the way and change the fan motor. I wouldn't use compressed air on the heater core, just the garden hose.

Back