• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE, driveshafts, and AX-15 manual

katuah

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys, I'm looking to put in a slip yoke eliminator soon, and I'm hoping y'all can help with a few questions.

First of all, I know I can pay a bunch of money to get a custom driveshaft from Tom Woods or somewhere, but like everybody money is tight. It's my understanding that the manuals have different shaft lengths from the autos, so I can't just get another shaft just like my current front one and use it in the back. Is that correct? Is there a stock driveshaft (any Jeep) that will work in the rear with a full SYE and a 5-speed AX-15?

Second of all, there are several different SYE kits out there, just wondering what people's experiences are with the different ones. JB Conversions claims a lot of great stuff about their higher-clearance yoke, etc - is their kit really worth it? What about the AA kit? What's the difference in the AA kit and the Tom Woods super kit? I saw somewhere that AA makes most of the kits and they are just rebranded, like RR. Is that still the case?

Lastly, I see where Adams Driveshaft has some mega-deal on ebay for a SYE and a custom shaft. Has anybody bought this, and if so, how do you like it? Is Adams a good shop?

I tried to search but I couldn't find much especially on the manual shaft question. Sorry if I missed something obvious.

Last edited:
So.... nobody out there has used a stock shaft with a 5-speed, and can tell me which combo it was?

So.... nobody out there has used a stock shaft with a 5-speed, and can tell me which combo it was?

No.

You will need a custom shaft.

Some grand Cherokees have a front shaft you can run for a rear. There was a thread on cherokeeforum.com if I remember correctly. I have the same drivetrain as you but have 4.5 from RE. Haven't had to use my sye kit yet so I can't tell you for sure what will work.

I am running the AA kit with an ax-15 and a front shaft from a grand cherokee. I do not remember what combination year/ engine/ transmission it came off of, but it was listed on ebay as 32.5" collapsed length. I am running it with an 8.8, which has a pinion length close to the 8.25. I believe the dana 35 is about an inch shorter, and would need an extra inch of drive shaft, but don't quote me on that. This is at 4.5" of lift. It is not the beefiest thing in the world, but I couldn't argue with $16 shipped.
This might help you too.
http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J321-CV.PDF

I use the stock shaft from an auto with my hack and taped 231 behind an ax15. I feel a longer shaft is needed.

Search, I've linked a spiced PDF here on naxja, it has years/make/model of every vehicle using a Ujoint. Your looking for something with a 1310 Ujoint. I forget the year and motor/trans/tcase combo, but I believe the stock shaft from a ZJ should fit the bill.

Install your SYE and measure though, any lift and shimming may change measurements.

Back