• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cracked banks header and I gotta go through NJ inspection any advice???

flazz85

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97, with a banks header (not revolver) and the bitch cracked already, barely has been driven that much since I put it on. It has been sitting for the past 7 months though, marine corps has kept me busy. anyway I'm trying to get it roadworthy and I have it's fine except it needs a new inspection sticker but the header is cracked. NJ doesn't have much of an inspection anymore but emission is still there. I made the mistake of wrapping the header but this may help me here. Just looking for some insight, does anyone think it will pass? It doesn't sound much louder, you can only tell if you know what your listening for, and there no engine lights on. Can't weld it, the placement of the crack is in a thin spot and I don't have the time right now to pull out and replace it, definitely not sending it in to a mechanic either. Should I wing it, or should I doctor it up?

In MD, if you have a 96 and newer--OBD2--and no check engine light, nor a recent clear of the CEL(thus sufficient data stored in PCM), you pass.

Either use a torch and braze the break or have it MIG'd. Not hard and shouldn't cost that much. Brazing might last longer but I have MIG'd several right on the vehicle.

You'll be fine. They don't test for emissions. They hook up to the OBD2 port, check and see if you have any codes, then send you on your merry way. The whole process takes 5 minutes.

My Jeep passed with a cracked header and aftermarket cat/muffler. It was loud as hell rolling through the emissions station, but I passed the OBDII test and that's all that matters.

Thanks for the info guys, i just gotta get through inspection then I can focus on the crack I gotta put a new head gasket on anyway. My thoughts were much of the same if the codes are good I should roll through, I might wrap it with that exhaust foil that hardens when heated up, the crack formed at the collector, still pissed bout that, luck of the draw I guess. Anyone vouch on adding flex pipe in a custom up pipe to take stress off a header? Just rolling ideas around to try and prevent cracks on another one, I'm not gonna wrap the next one.

One of our members works at Banks.. I just sent him a msg about this thread, he's going to poke someone at work and see if he can help you out.

I'd go do your inspection to get legal, and then replace the header next time you have a warm weekend.

That's what you're supposed to do. Adding a flex pipe greatly reduces the stress on headers. Or you can get a knockoff header that has bellows on the 1 and 6 runners. Been running one on road, no issues. Can't say about off-road though.

Back