• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ABS Wheel Sensors Cleaning

fortcoyote

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 1990 Jeep Cherokee with my son for a project jeep. I understand the ABS system is a poor design and there are various methods to deal with the problem. The one thing I have not heard about though is about cleaning the wheel sensors to solve the problems. Has anybody had any success with cleaning?

I have never had an ABS system on a jeep (and not one that needed work yet on non jeeps). But that sounds like an interesting idea.

the problems with the ABS system in a renix jeep are not related to the wheel speed sensors. The primary issue is that the guy that designed it must have been a moron. There is no failsafe for when the ABS pump fails, as it generates all of the assistance in the braking system. This is different than pretty much every other system that has a regular brake booster and just uses the ABS pump to modulate that pressure.

Anyway, I have cleaned tone rings to fix wheel speed sensor issues. Usually after someone lets the pad wear into the rootr and a bajillion metal shavings get stuck in the tone ring and stuck to the magnetic sensor.

on an XJ you simply have to pull the axle shafts to get at the tone rings. Clean them until there isn't anything left in the valleys and the "splines" have defined edges and you're done. Use a nylon bristle brush to clean the wheel speed sensors themselves, nothing metal. I'd probably not try and remove the sensors from the bracket unless you're ready to replace it. The little bit of rust that happens in there effectively seizes them in there, and being that they're old brittle plastic at this point you're not likely to get them out without breaking them. just make sure that the tips that read the tone rings are clean of debris, especially any sort of metallic bits.

Back