• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

44/9 swap quick questions

CAJJ93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
researching different axle swaps. found a lot of info just wanted to confirm some things on the 44/9

so donor vehicle is late 1970's f150? 44/9 width is 65" and bolt pattern is 5x5.5?
and there is a 9" that comes from a ford van that is 68"? is that one a good swap? hard to find? bolt pattern?

the plans are 9" rear, strange nodular case, 35 spline grizzly, moser shafts, 5.13s, truss, discs, and what else goes into the 35 spline swap? what do you think about just ordering a complete 3rd member
thanks

What year 70s ford? What suspension setup? Extending the ford radius arms?

I was considering a 44/60 swap but now im considering the 9 instead of the 60. I'm at the same point as you, still doing research on it but 9 seemed to have better after market support. also considering the 8.8. At 5.13 i assume youre looking at 37 tires?

What year 70s ford? What suspension setup? Extending the ford radius arms?

78 or 79 right? 3 link/4 link. going to clean everything off of the 44 and truss it. I'm more interested in what I'm doing to the 9" internals

I was considering a 44/60 swap but now im considering the 9 instead of the 60. I'm at the same point as you, still doing research on it but 9 seemed to have better after market support. also considering the 8.8. At 5.13 i assume youre looking at 37 tires?

yeah I was looking at 44/60 and 60/14 also. I'll end up spending more money to make the 9" strong enough and I'm ok with that. 35's, 37's, maybe even some 38's. I'm not ready for ton's and 40's

78 or 79 right? 3 link/4 link. going to clean everything off of the 44 and truss it. I'm more interested in what I'm doing to the 9" internals

yeah I was looking at 44/60 and 60/14 also. I'll end up spending more money to make the 9" strong enough and I'm ok with that. 35's, 37's, maybe even some 38's. I'm not ready for ton's and 40's

31 spline stuff is ok for 37's, unless you like heavy throttle. then do the 35 spline swap.
same with the 44. stock is ok if you arent abusive. anything heavy or real binding youre gonna need some bigger parts in it.

my 9/44 came out of a 78 bronco. the 9 is a 33 spline sadly (really want 35) and the lug is 5x5.5 with a spool

the 44 is mostly stock with a detroit

both filled with 4.88s and they sin 35s. plenty of beef

i too am not ready for tons

31 spline stuff is ok for 37's, unless you like heavy throttle. then do the 35 spline swap.
same with the 44. stock is ok if you arent abusive. anything heavy or real binding youre gonna need some bigger parts in it.

see I am not heavy on the throttle. but the thought process is that it's only a couple hundred more to just get 35 spline right from the start (shafts, lockers, etc all seem to cost about the same.) and be happy with it. it's just the aftermarket case that costs $330 I just want to learn more about what extra costs there are with the 35 spline swap. and what install kit to use etc.. a couple hundred$ in the long run of a few years of axle usage really isn't a big deal. I'm just going to build it big right from the start and not have to worry about it

my 9/44 came out of a 78 bronco. the 9 is a 33 spline sadly (really want 35) and the lug is 5x5.5 with a spool

the 44 is mostly stock with a detroit

both filled with 4.88s and they sin 35s. plenty of beef

i too am not ready for tons

and are you happy with the overall width? I was going to end up with 3.75"BS and 12.5" or 13.5" wide tires

Any D-44 out of a F-150 later than 77 will have cast wedges....no cleaning them off unless you are going to do a complete re-tube. This was out of a 78.
cliffs1.jpg

that's a problem. I'll address that later. the main thing I'm looking for is everything that goes into building a 35 spline 9"

We did do a complete re-tube on mine. If you have any questions or want more pics of the width with 3.75 BS and 12.5 wide tires...I have been happy with the 31 spline so far in the rear 9" with 35's

We did do a complete re-tube on mine. If you have any questions or want more pics of the width with 3.75 BS and 12.5 wide tires...I have been happy with the 31 spline so far in the rear 9" with 35's

do you have a link to a fabrication thread for it? my concern is getting the inner c's to go back on straight and proper length tubes. did you use aftermarket c's? rotate knuckles?

you want a 44 from 77 down withe the weld on wedges not 79 with cast c's tnt makes real nice truss that is what i run. the nine with 31spline and yukon chromoly is plenty i run 38.5 tsl/sx and have no problems nodular with 4.88 and detroit explorer disc brakes

I ran a HP44/9" in my XJ years ago with 37" MTRs 4.0L/aw4/241 Rubi 4:1 loved it the few times I took it out on the Rubicon and Fordyce trails.

Now I have 2 1 ton YJs, traded my 1 ton MJ and live in the flat and boring Midwest outside Chicago.

I had another MJ last summer with a HP44/9" combo and the factory Ford radius arms with Ruff Stuff heims and DOM tubing at the ends making it a 3 link long arm setup. Really liked that Jeep until the motor died and I parted it out.

I would suggest keeping the build simple and using the Ford radius arms and making them work so you get a suspension upgrade as well and keep the cost of the swap easy doing HP44/9" out of a late 70s Ford Bronco or F150 and running up to 37" tires. Should work good! Otherwise step up to a HP60/14bolt combo if you plan to go bigger than 37s but on a unibodied XJ/MJ/ZJ etc HP44/9" and up to 37s, even just 35s max you have a nice setup! ;)

Troy

what is the width on that axle?
something like this axle right http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/3401399442.html

I believe that's a low pinion 44.

I think 77-79 is what you want. 78-79 will have cast wedges, which are fine if you want to extend the ford radius arms (which work very well). 77 will be welded. Before 77 is unclear to me, but they may be low pinion and may have drum brakes. Should have welded wedges though.

I would suggest keeping the build simple and using the Ford radius arms and making them work so you get a suspension upgrade as well and keep the cost of the swap easy doing HP44/9" out of a late 70s Ford Bronco or F150 and running up to 37" tires. Should work good! Otherwise step up to a HP60/14bolt combo if you plan to go bigger than 37s but on a unibodied XJ/MJ/ZJ etc HP44/9" and up to 37s, even just 35s max you have a nice setup! ;)

I know for a fact that I'd be significantly happier just retubing, rotating knuckles, and welding on a strong truss and mounts. I won't hesitate to overspend time and money so I don't have to live with those pesky "shit I really wish I did this different" thoughts. I'm currently having those thoughts right now being stuck with my 30/8.8

has anyone here done the 35 spline upgrade 9"?

I believe that's a low pinion 44.

I think 77-79 is what you want. 78-79 will have cast wedges, which are fine if you want to extend the ford radius arms (which work very well). 77 will be welded. Before 77 is unclear to me, but they may be low pinion and may have drum brakes. Should have welded wedges though.

huh I didn't even notice that second pic but you're right it is LP. oh well I think I'm leaning toward retube anyways.

I wouldn't spend the $ and time on a full width LP and narrow it when you can get a waggy LP44 that is around stock XJ/YJ width at 60"

Back