• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C compressor

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
I'm getting a chirp out of my A/C compressor. The tempo stays equal to the RPM of the engine. Faster I drive the faster it chirps. I can make the noise go away if I turn up the radio...but that is a temporary solution!!!

So does that indicate a pump going bad?

Any sure fire way to narrow it down between compressor and clutch? Or should both just be done.

you can't easily (special tools and what not) separate the clutch from the compressor, so usually a new compressor has a new clutch.

Does chirping happen when the AC is on or off?

If off then the clutch center should be freewheeling, and he problem is probably in the clutch. If on then that's they only time the compressor is actually turning, so squeak is probably in the compressor.

Could also be the clutch bearing, which is also replaceable. Replacing the bearing or clutch is not that hard. I have done both. I used a rental tool from the zone for the clutch. I forgot what all it took for the bearing.

Back