• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hemenechi's Jeep Cherokee

Hemenechi

NAXJA Forum User
My name is Jay, I bought my Jeep on 8/21/11 for $115.95 and for NH and this year it is in pretty good shape. and here's some info on it when I first bought it.

1987 Jeep Cherokee Laredo
4.0L RENIX, AW4, NP242
Dana 30 (Non-Vacuum Disconnect), 3:55, Open
Dana 35, 3:55, Open
235/75/15 Remington Rimfire A/T, Jeep Turbine
Stock Suspension
113,178 Miles

Now:
1987 Jeep Cherokee Laredo
4.0L RENIX, AW4, NP242
Dana 30 (Non-Vacuum Disconnect), 3:55, Open
Ford 8.8, 3:55 Open
33x10.5x15 BFGoodrich KM2, Pro Comp Series 52 Matte Black
4.75" Suspension Lift

Extra's

Home Made Front Bumper
Hella Fog Lights
AX15 Crossmember (3/4" Drop)
Nate's 4x4 Rear Bumper
OEM Gas Tank Skid
RCX Sliders

IMG_2473.jpg

IMG_2474.jpg

IMG_2476.jpg

Rotted Exhaust
IMG_2526.jpg

New Exhaust
IMG_2525.jpg

Home Made Bumper Cost Me About $20
DSC00474.jpg

DSC00475.jpg

DSC00455.jpg

DSC00462.jpg

DSC00464.jpg

DSC00466.jpg

DSC00470.jpg

DSC00469.jpg

DSC00478.jpg

Last edited:
Ford 8.8 Swap Cost About $100 (Including Axle)
DSC00546.jpg

DSC00558.jpg

DSC00559.jpg

DSC00593.jpg

DSC00594.jpg

DSC00592.jpg

gas tank was rotted :/
DSC00721.jpg

DSC00723.jpg

DSC00722.jpg

Lift, TJ Flares & 33x10.5x15 KM2
Lift is Front is 3.5" coils with 2" Coil spacers Rear is Ford Explorer Springs
DSC00744.jpg

33x10.5x15 BFG A/T as the spare. As you can see it fits.
DSC00747.jpg

Just need to unlatch the rear seat on the drivers side
DSC00749.jpg

That was just to get up to speed of what I have got done sofar.

Yea I cut up 2 hitch's for it. Like I said tho its $20 in making it. I was thinking of running the mounts further back.... but you know what. its not a winch bumper and it was just a cheap thing to make for now. works well so far :)

Looks like your having fun! I love home fab stuff, The bumper looks like it could easily take a good tug or two, except WhiteXJ98 Is right, with the factory 3 bolt connection on each side, I've personally seen those bolts shear off and the bumper go flying.. Just an FYI.. It looks great! but to really be stout and usable, I advise going back and getting strength out of more connections

By the way.. Welcome to the Hobart club! what model did you go with?

Last edited:
The front 2 main bolts are 1/2" and i reinforced them with the angle iron.

if i were ever to keep this bumper other then light tugs or street use. i would make a template that bolts over the existing holes and ties in with the rest of the unibody.

its good to know the 6 bolts that hold on my toyota front winch bumper is way stronger then a cherokee lol

i work at a parts store so i was messing around with the idea so i just bought the hitches for cheap.

its not the bolts that are the problem... its the unibody.

The front 2 main bolts are 1/2" and i reinforced them with the angle iron.

if i were ever to keep this bumper other then light tugs or street use. i would make a template that bolts over the existing holes and ties in with the rest of the unibody.

its good to know the 6 bolts that hold on my toyota front winch bumper is way stronger then a cherokee lol

i work at a parts store so i was messing around with the idea so i just bought the hitches for cheap.

Take a look at the OEM front tow point option from Jeep and you'll see what it takes to properly set up a safe recovery point on a cherokee unibody. Another good thing to look at is the JKS front reinforcement plates and they are designed to take front recovery forces.

I would hate to see yours rip off and hurt someone should you use it.

HAHAHA I JUST WANT TO SAY I THINK IT IS FUNNY WHEN PEOPLE SAY UNIBODY IT IS A UNIT-BODY. KEEP CALLING IT A UNIBODY IF YOU WANT, BUT THE REAL NAME IS UNIT-BODY.

I would not pull on that front bumper if you were stuck, just saying....

HAHAHA I JUST WANT TO SAY I THINK IT IS FUNNY WHEN PEOPLE SAY UNIBODY IT IS A UNIT-BODY. KEEP CALLING IT A UNIBODY IF YOU WANT, BUT THE REAL NAME IS UNIT-BODY.

This is your first post!!!

Back