• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TC no lockup?

BrokenSockets

NAXJA Forum User
96 4.0 AW4 242

I am getting no TC lockup - been going on for a while - not sure how long. This is the DD for the GF who noticed something wrong because the price of the gas recently is killing her (me actually.) I took it for a road trip this weekend - no lockup.

It will lock up normally for the first couple of minutes after startup when still cold but then not after.

Cruise is normal. Brake lights are normal & switch ok. Reverse lights normal & no other NSS type issues to report. Checked solenoid impedance at TCU connector - seems in range.

Fluid is a bit on the old side, should be changed, but also have had a "whirring" while in gear (R,D,3,2) that is not present in P or N. That's been there since buying the XJ two and a half years ago. I don't remember the TC not locking a few months ago when I drove it more frequently.

Could it be just the old fluid? what else to check without getting into the trans.?

There are several things that cause the torque converter clutch not to engage, but I would start with the solenoid.

There's a separate solenoid in the trans for the torque converter clutch lock up. Your checking the resistance through the TCM was a good idea, but you can also check all three solenoid's resistance through the connection at the rear of the passenger side engine compartment near the firewall.

There are two connectors, they are either black and grey or both grey. Regardless of the color, one is an 8-way, the other a 6-way, you need to check the smaller one.

[FONT=&quot]Solenoid #3[/FONT][FONT=&quot] (Closest to front of vehicle) Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) 6-way connector: lower middle connector with the lock facing up. [/FONT]With a digital meter grounded to the battery check the resistance. All three solenoids should read between 11-15 ohms. Keep in mind there will be some resistance through your meter's leads and the wires/connectors.

The other option is to drop the pan and check the resistance at the solenoids, but it sounds like you need a trans service anyway.

For my '97 AW4: Trans Control Module (TCM) harness Lock Facing Up
There are 26 cavities, two rows of 13.
Top Row, last 3 cavities on the right side
#11: Torque Converter Clutch. Wire: Dark Blue/White
#12. Shift Solenoid #1. Wire: White
#13. Shift Solenoid #2. Wire: Orange/White

You might want to check the TPS and adjust the TV cable before you do anything, both can affect shifting.

Back