• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire Woes

gajeepguy

NAXJA Forum User
I see a lot of information going both ways so I'll ask you guys :D

OK, I kinda got screwed a little bit today but I'll take the blame as I should have actually looked at the tire before I left the shop--but in my defense I did say I wanted a <b>32x11.50</b> lol

Got a flat a few days ago, no monies for new tires right now but spoke to a guy said he had 1 32x11.50 nearly brand new. Well, after running and getting the tire I get back to the house to notice it is infact a 31x10.50x15 rather than a 32x11.50x15 :brickwall:

I would take it back but I drove 120 miles roundtrip to get it, seriously!

Now honestly the new 31 is nearly the same diameter as the 32s on the truck currently.

I know this is not ideal, but will I be able to use the tire in conjunction with my 32s until I can get a replacement? No highway useage, just 30 miles round trip to work through the mountains. I don't want to grenade my rear end!

Thanks guys.

EDIT: It's the stock d35 no LSD or lockers. Should be OK for now, right?

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend it, if you have to, put it up front and don't use 4wd, only 2hi, it will pull but shouldn't grenade anything :/

This is a little ghetto I suppose but I pulled out the tape measure and with the tires inflated to 34psi the worn 32 on the opposite side is nearly the exact same diameter as the new 31 on the other side. So, I'm going to air the 32 down just a tad and call it good. I should be able to get another tire end of this week and hopefully sell this brand new 31 I got.

Someone correct me if my logic is way out of line here.

I would do that before I put mismatched tires on the front axle. Thats some of the most unsafe advice I've seen in a while..

But I wouldn't run it long term. Find another 32x11.5 and make that a spare - or buy a new set of tires..

I would do that before I put mismatched tires on the front axle. Thats some of the most unsafe advice I've seen in a while..

But I wouldn't run it long term. Find another 32x11.5 and make that a spare - or buy a new set of tires..

Thank you. I did not like the idea of running two different sized tires on the front either, even if it meant blowing the spider gears. I'll only have put 100 miles or so on the mismatched tires by the time I can get another 32x11.50.

be careful airing your 32 down to match. Too low a pressure and it won't support the weight safely. It will heat up the tire and blow out.

be careful airing your 32 down to match. Too low a pressure and it won't support the weight safely. It will heat up the tire and blow out.

The 32 is at 33psi, the 31 at 34psi and the difference in diameter at those psi is 3/8" at current wear levels.

just thinking out loud here... even if they are the same height when under load, they wont ride the same at different PSIs obviously. consider the plys and difference in load range. even if they are the same height, their circufrence is different, regardless if the 32 is flat on the bottom or not. your spiders will be getting a workout.

i vote inflate to proper PSI, and run it where ever. people run doughnuts all the time. its not ideal... so get it replaced asap.

just thinking out loud here... even if they are the same height when under load, they wont ride the same at different PSIs obviously. consider the plys and difference in load range. even if they are the same height, their circufrence is different, regardless if the 32 is flat on the bottom or not. your spiders will be getting a workout.

i vote inflate to proper PSI, and run it where ever. people run doughnuts all the time. its not ideal... so get it replaced asap.

if they have the same diameter (height), they have the same circumference.

3/8" of an inch is nothing. run the 31 until you can get another 32, then use the 31 as a spare.

Thanks guys, I wont worry about it too much then and just get a proper tire this weekend sometime. FWIW the circumference of the 32" tire is 1.5" greater than the 31 inch tire. According to my calculations, anyhow. Hopefully no harm will come to the spider gears.

Cheers

Mountains out of molehills. Running it in the rear will only make the smaller tire rotate seven times more each mile you drive. One rotation every nine seconds is not exactly hard on stuff.

Even in the front its not going to be horrible. Yeah, it will pull a bit, but many of my cars over the years pulled a bit occationally.

Hmmm.., Front end alignments are set to pull vehicle to the right a bit, i.e., if'in one falls asleep, etc., so as to not go into oncoming, etc. Another thing about most paved roads is the fact that they are most often convex, i.e., the highest point is in the middle designated by the painted lines if there are some. If one wants to drive really straight on black ice/glare ice, one can air down left side, and air up right side, i.e., in the direction of travel.

If I had an oddball tire, (a future spare at the very least), I'd place a/the taller tire on the right side, etc.

I wanted to update this. I ran the 31 on the rear with the 32 on the other side and within 400 miles my spider gears exploded. Soooo yeah.

Back