• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery Blues

xjwisconsin

NAXJA Forum User
1998 4.0, ax15, np231 d30,8.25
Running optima red top, 5-90 mains.

Got to work a little early today so I decided to stop at a nearby park and listen to the radio. Turned the ignition off, accessories position then. Sat about a half an hour with the radio on and an iPhone plugged into the radio to charge. Remembered about twenty min into sitting there that my climate controls were still running. Shut them off. Half hour total I go to turn the engine over. Got about a half a turn and then nada.

1. Did/ is my battery crapping out?
2. Should I put it on a trickle charge tonight?

Thankfully, yes. I lived in Ocean Beach years ago, lets just say your parks are, um populated with a different type of wildlife.
iphone069.jpg

the view I was enjoying yesterday (old photo, same scenery).

Could be a sign your battery is not as strong as it once was, But my experience is the heater will drain a battery faster then headlights.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you have to have the ignition on to have the heater on, which I've read/believe drains the battery much fast than just having the accessories on. 20-30 mins seems to be about right.

Thanks guys, I was one click from actually starting the ignition, Ive allways thought of that as accessory. I was going to take the battery in to autozone and have it tested. I have left parking lights on for 8 hours and still been able to start the rig. I just wasnt sure how much more draw the radio and the blower really took.

The blower is a LARGE load!!!!! About 20 amps on mine IIRC.

Well sir, thank you I had no idea. I will take a peak at my charger when I get home.

Was the drain on theoretical par with the load?

Probably - the HVAC fan is a big draw.

Although, I don't think it's supposed to be powered with the key in ACC. It should be "Hot in RUN" only, as far as I know...

Sounds about right for a typical optima. I'm a little biased because I've seen and had so many of them fail prematurely. I've run accessories, stereo, etc for HOURS on a good lead cell battery and not had a problem firing it right up, even after draining said battery all the way and recharging many times previous. Optima after discharging it once and recharging? Forget it, might as well throw it away.

Back