• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Using LSD?

Oxen__

NAXJA Forum User
Stare at a water painting ha ha.

Ok. So i have some axles goin into my xj 44/60 . I see both axles have LSD available by auburn and detroit and the factory dana lsd unis. They all seem to be fairly affordable and they can be rebuilt. So i think i want to get some. But wanted to know many of you have lsd in your front axle? How do you like it or not. And how is it in snow and rocks.

Different axles but same principle...

We have a LSD in the front and Detroit in the rear of our 72 bronco and it drives fine. It does have hubs though to unlock a wheel on the front end if we are down in moab on slickrock. It doesn't see much street time, but up hunting and driving trails its almost as good as having both fully locked.

Still doesn't beat the tj with arbs though...

Mine has a lsd(8.25) it does great for what it's for. It all really depends on how serious is your off road going to be? If its mild to medium, you'll be fine but if you plan to do harder or worse. Go with a locker.

Seeing as you are building a D44/D60 combo I have to assume you are going to wheel the thing. Selectable lockers will do so much better offroad than LSD's. LSD's are almost worthless offroad.

Big boy axles = big boy lockers. LSD's are worthless period IMHO. I've wheeled with jeeps that had factory LSD's, Tru-tracs, etc. I would have sworn they were open diffs, they did nothing to help with traction. They would just sit there and spin one tire as soon as the other tire got traction. You're better off just getting a cheap lunchbox locker or welded it if you dont wanna drop the coin for a big boy locker.

Agreed with the above, weld up the rear and the money you saved on the rear end put toward a good selectable front locker. That's what I would/am doing.

good points. have been made here.

the area i have to wheel in isnt super tough. and i just didnt want to hassle with air lockers. i got the idea from my bmw it has a LSD in it. i shimmed it up its about 80% locked and it stays pretty side ways. i have had to rebuild it once in oh about 8 years.

so my thought was that there pretty reliable.

all tho any thing is till its worn. i may just wait and go ARB or some air locker. i dont want to weld or get a crapy lunch box locker. but wanted a little more climbing traction.

Agreed with the above, weld up the rear and the money you saved on the rear end put toward a good selectable front locker. That's what I would/am doing.

Do it the other way around, trust me. As soon as I have some extra coin I'll be dropping an ARB or something in my 14b.

And why is a luch box locker crapy?

x2

There's plenty of us in the NAC on 1tons with 37's+ that run lunchbox lockers. We all beat the crap outta them and nobody has had a problem yet.

Big boy axles = big boy lockers. LSD's are worthless period IMHO. I've wheeled with jeeps that had factory LSD's, Tru-tracs, etc. I would have sworn they were open diffs, they did nothing to help with traction. They would just sit there and spin one tire as soon as the other tire got traction. You're better off just getting a cheap lunchbox locker or welded it if you dont wanna drop the coin for a big boy locker.

Exactly.. My LSD 44 in the rear of my xj worked great on 31's but as soon as I went to a larger tire it because worthless/none exsistant.

I'm building a rear 44 right now. As my rig will be regularly street driven in the snow, I didn't want a locker in the rear end. I called eaton and talked to them about their trutrac. They seemed to think it would be just fine for moderate wheeling on 35s. Ill be doing an ox in the front44.

Does this sound accurate.

I've had true tracs in the fronts of three jeeps. I like them, but they're not a locker. They are aggressive off road though, and very well mannered on the street. Good in snow and muddy terrain. The dana trac lok is a useless POS. I'd rather have an open diff.

my XJ came with the trac lok in the rear, was fine for a stock jeep on the FSR but that was about it, after the lift i installed front and rear detroit truetrac's, i think they do a great job on a DD/bush machine, they get me every where i wanna go without slipping a tire for the most part, IF you do get sunk in the snow and end up with a one tire fire going on just drag the brakes and off you go.

i have run welded and lockers in the past, if you think you want LSD i say go for it and get a truetrac

good points. have been made here.

the area i have to wheel in isnt super tough. and i just didnt want to hassle with air lockers. i got the idea from my bmw it has a LSD in it. i shimmed it up its about 80% locked and it stays pretty side ways. i have had to rebuild it once in oh about 8 years.

the bigger the tire, the more useless the lsd.

Take it as this: if your only going to do light to some medium with 33" or less, a LSD will work for the most part, but if you plan on going bigger or harder trails, get a locker. I'm only going to 33" at most so mine will be fine for what is does.

I may may go air. But i just want a bit more traction. Maximum would certainly be a locker. Seems like big tires and lockers are the recipe tho. So i mite just weld the rear for now. I need to do gears tho. Or i should atleast

You went from wanting an LSD to welding the rear? Still wondering why you wouldnt just throw in a lunchbox in it...

Well id weld it because i will later install a air locker. I have money for two true track diffs. But not enough for two lockers. So weld it for now. Put a selectable in the front.

Back