• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So what all happened in 96?

hot_rod_hooligans

NAXJA Forum User
I've tried searching, and have found a few differences, but I'm looking for a more comprehensive list of what the 96 XJs got. I just bought mine a couple of weeks ago, so far this is what I've learned:
OBD2
Some of the late model years came with the 29 spline 8.25
Late model style transfer case tail housing
Mid model year they made a change to the distributor, iirc mine was made 10/95 and I have the later distributor.
At some point the tail lights/brake lights/turn signals changed from 2057 to 3157(still haven't looked to see what I have yet)
Stamped sheet metal valve cover
95/96 uses a dual diaphragm brake booster

Could use conformation:
The body structure was strengthened
Engine block was updated, main cap girdle was added, new head design(0630?), injectors
I've heard there were some changes made to the HVAC? Something about the blower motor?

Mid year changes that I know of: 27-spline to 29-spline 8.25", sensor connectors(mid year had a change, so buying 96 parts without looking at them can screw you), seat belt receivers. 96 was first year of 49psi fuel system w/o return. It used 23.2# grey top injectors(only year used). The 96's 0630 head has a port in d.s. rear corner for the dash's coolant temp gauge(later years were capped or untapped). 96 was the first year for the newer belt tensioner system/power steering mount that was used until 01(good info for those that want to use the intake manifold). 1st year for post cat o2 sensor. 96 shares the mechanical airbag used in the 95. I know there's more that hasn't been mentioned. . .
Different cam: lower lift than 87-95, but does have more exhaust duration
Pistons are metric

Last edited:
Found out a few answers this week
94-96 uses the same wiring harness(dash at least), found this out when a buddy installed my remote starter for me.

96 uses the 0630 head, but 96 has the hole for the water temp sensor drilled in the back of the head, unlike later models in the 97+ XJ/TJ.

96 fuel sending unit is a one year only design,pressure regulator is in the tank,no fuel return line.
IIRC the ignition switch is a 96 only design too....

Why would the ign be 96 only?
95 used the same column

Bad info from some other parts seller, checking part # shows lots of Mopars used same switch,over numerous years.....

The 96 model year is my favorite of all the XJ's. I have owned one of every system(RENIX/OBD1/OBD2/OBD2 COP). I have had 2 96's and they have been rock solid Jeeps and its the platform that I use for my trail rig.

Don't forget the late '96s, the Classic. These, I believe, were all made during the summer and fall of '96, long after the switch-over to the '97 model would have happened. My son has one built in October of '96, and we've seen as late as November in the junk yard. The '96 Classic has different injectors, some wiring differences under the hood, and the newer wiper arms, in comparison to my '96 Country. Oddly, our Classic was built with every option they could throw at an XJ, including Up Country suspension, towing, overhead console (all four courtesy lights work when you open a door, unlike other XJs), 242 case, power everything, all wrapped in black. It probably stickered close to a ZJ in price!

And, yeah, the '96s, even with the rust issues we've been battling, are noticeably more rigid in construction. They just feel more solid when driving, more than our others.

96 May have been the first year for the screw in oil cap.
With the recent addition of a 95 to the fleet,we have every different change/generation except the 90/91 and the 99/00 period.
Have an 87-95-96-98. All on the road,all but the 95 with over 250,000,

Back