• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan clutch into radiator

4xfishfinder

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all what's new? 94XJ 4.0 auto. PROBLEM, under decent acceleration or any kind of 4 wheeling my fan clutch tags my radiator. It is a newer 3 core Rad but this problem did not start for 6-7 months after install of new Rad. Ideas? Thoughts? Thanks for any and all input. Even the smart arse ones.

My vote engine and trans mounts. My stock 2001 trans mount when I changed at 125,000 was cracked. Stock motor mounts look terrible to begin with. I got Brown Dog rubber motor mounts.

I had exactly the same issue few months after replacing my rad...then replaced the stock with the stock Mopar motor & trans mounts...it was OK for just over a year, then issues started again..
rubber Brown dog mounts installed two months ago....so far so good..

Last edited:
Just installed my brown dog rubber mounts last weekend. Put a new Trans mount in at same time. Jeep feels much tighter now.

Stock motor mount rubber was shot.

The problem is the combination of the 3 core, clutch fan, and rubber engine mounts.

Put in a 2 core; you don't need a 3 core. Infact a 3 core may actually cool less than a 2 core.

Put in poly engine mounts (I don't care whose brand, but a NAXJA Vendor would be nice).

That should do the trick.

-Ron

After you replace your engine/trans mounts check the two studs on top of the radiator that pass through the radiator support. You can get about an inch of movement at the top of the radiator when you loosen the nuts. I'd loosen them, and with the fan shroud removed check for clearance before you tighten them back up.

Back