• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 XJ 4.0 replacing block with Renix version

SicNastyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so my 01 XJ sport has developed a knock that i'm fairly certain is bottom end.....not flywheel after researching. My question is, i have found a used 4.0 complete engine but i'm certain it is a Renix per the year of the jeep it's in. Everything on my engine is in good shape as far as head, intake/exhaust manifolds and electronics. Could i simply replace the head and all other related H.O. items on this renix short block?

I'm thinking so as i believe the blocks are the same but just wanted to verify with the masses before i purchase the motor.

My plans would be to rebuild my current block into a stroker down the road.

Appologies for not searching first........doh!!

Easy way to tell if it was RENIX - check the driver's side down by the sump rail for a drilled & tapped blind home, M10-1.5. It was for the knock sensor.

I know there were a few NVH revisions over the years, but I don't know if that changed the mount points for the various bracketry. However, the critical bits should be the same (bore, bore CL, head screw locations, ...) and the RENIX CTS (under the exhaust) may be left in place as a plug and the wiring clipped off - that won't be used for anything on the 2001.

Check the mounts for the bracketry on the passenger side of the block - if they're the same, you should be able to drop in the 2001 SYNC sensor/distributor pickup/oil pump drive (it's all the same part) and put the short block on.

Report back if you find any differences, please - I'd like to have this data confirmed.

Thats a lot of work for a used block.

Easy way to tell if it was RENIX - check the driver's side down by the sump rail for a drilled & tapped blind home, M10-1.5. It was for the knock sensor.

I know there were a few NVH revisions over the years, but I don't know if that changed the mount points for the various bracketry. However, the critical bits should be the same (bore, bore CL, head screw locations, ...) and the RENIX CTS (under the exhaust) may be left in place as a plug and the wiring clipped off - that won't be used for anything on the 2001.

Check the mounts for the bracketry on the passenger side of the block - if they're the same, you should be able to drop in the 2001 SYNC sensor/distributor pickup/oil pump drive (it's all the same part) and put the short block on.

Report back if you find any differences, please - I'd like to have this data confirmed.

HOs. at least the early ones, also have the tapped hole in the block for the knock sensor even though they didn't have one.

Best way to tell for sure is to get the block casting number off the driver's side of the engine oe the build dat off the passenger's side.

Back