• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

slip yoke question

kevinO

NAXJA Forum User
I just rebuilt the u-joints on my lifted xj and noticed that the slip yoke lost about 1 inch of contact with the output shaft. meaning with the lift it slid backwards off the output shaft in the transfercase. now I see what is cuasing the rumbling sound when I first start moving in gear. I can see / feel play in the slip yoke on the output shaft.the slip yoke not making the full contact with the output shaft like it did before being lifted. My question is this can I put a longer slip shaft on the driveshaft or do I have to buy a double cardan driveshaft now.:helpme:

Sounds like you are in bad need of a Slip Yoke Eliminator kit and another driveshaft. Yes, you will need a DC driveshaft. But you can often get a front driveshaft from the junkyard and put it on as a rear shaft.

Look at doing a slip yoke eliminator. You could get a longer slip yoke but in the end the money is better spent on an SYE. If you need help, hit me up. I am not far.

I have the NP 242 transfercase which the only good SYE kit is from Tom Woods for $800 being christmas and all I cant spend the cash on it. I was thinking about getting A NP 231 because all the good stuff is available for that transfercase. How much of a pain is it to change out to that. I think its a straight forward swap correct?

I found out that the YJ slip yoke is 5/8 longer than the XJ slip yoke too. just gotta be sure of the output spline count before I purchase that as a temporary fix until I either buy the NP231 or a Tom Woods SYE kit for the NP242.

The 1" dimension you stated above is at ride height? Even with an additional 5/8" that isn't really very much. Especially if you get in a situation where you would need to call on the suspension to start doing it's thing.

Since you have an NP242, you better look into doing a "hack and tap" on that rear shaft. That would be the best route to take. What I have read about the SYE kit from Tom Woods is that it is essentially a pre-built hack and tap. Isn't part of that price you stated incorporating a core charge for your old hardware?

Is this the "kit"? http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/woods-np242-shaft-free-shipping-p-4937.html

So after the core charge, you would be into the kit $450 for a SYE and a new drive shaft from Tom Woods? That really isn't a bad price at all!

There is plenty of information on hack and tapping what you currently have if you decided to do it yourself.

i got lucky and bought a NP231 with AW4 transmission w/ torque convertor and bell housing for $200. the transfercase was recently rebuilt and is all shiney new. the transmission not so much. now i need to see if my shift linkage will work with the NP231. I dont think so because the NP242 has 1 more postion than the NP231. junkyard time..

so to answer my own question about swapping from np242 to np231 heres what i found out spending the morning at the junkyard daring to compare...as far as linkage goes all you need is the notched shift pattern in the cab. the lever moves up and down thru it locking into the H2,H4 N,L4.everything else in the cab is the same, mounting ect dont forget to get a new bezel with the correct shift pattern on it. the linkage under the car is also the same there is an adjustment of the upper part of the shift linkage to change the lenght of the throw to accomodate the different transfercases. everything else is the same as long as you get the same spline count for the input of the transmission into the transfercase. its that easy...gotta love the jeeps.

If you aren't having any problems with driveline vibes, a longer rear driveshaft will be the cheapest and easiest solution. It may not be an option though. What is your current transmission and rear axle?

I installed the Dirtbound Offroad Hack and Tap on my 242, went in alright and is still good. That and an extra front driveshaft got me going. You might not need all-wheel-drive out there but I need it here.

well I bought the np231 and everything i need to put it in .And i also bought a yj slipyoke (5/8 longer than the xj's) which made a major part of the driveline vibs go away. so for the moment I am good. i will install the np231 when i get it ready to go. I mostly do desert stuff with some rock crawling here and there. I have a tj that is more for the serious rock crawling when thats the trail of choice. you just cant pack very much stuff in a tj like you can an xj for week long adventures...

Back