• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do I need a ZJ prop valve?

AZjeepin1

NAXJA Forum User
Upgrading the following on an '88 Renix-era XJ:

WJ booster and MC
Stainless lines front and rear

And eventually:
Converting to discs in the rear
WJ Akebono front brakes up front

Is it a necessity to run the ZJ proportioning valve? If I do, what kind of flare do the lines require on the ZJ valve?

My wife's XJ doesn't have it. I know most do the disc conversion and find out real quick if they need it or not...

When I did mine I pulled the prop valve from the donor vehicle, needless to say, its still sitting in a parts box...

On my '99 with the stock MC and WJ Akebono fronts, ZJ rears, I needed to swap in the ZJ prop valve guts (the pink/reddish one). Without it the rear discs would barely keep the wheels stopped with the trans in gear at idle (rear axle on jackstands). Now it stops amazing.

If you do pull one make sure you pull it with the short hard lines still attached to it from the MC , that way if you strip one on either vehicle you will have a couple spares to play around with. They didn't charge me extra for the two lines.

When I did my rear disc conversion on my 87 I cut one coil loop off the stock spring in the proportioning valve.when I changed the master and booster to the 95/96 style I'm still running the old style.I also have a 93 front axle with the 93 brakes.I'm happy with the braking performance.hope this helps

I've been running for years with ZJ disc, stock front & no prop valve.
I'm sure it would be better if I had the ZJ valve but I can still panic stop pretty damn well and modulate the brakes well enough for snow driving, so I just haven't bothered.
Best option is still an adjustable proportioning valve, especially if you are going to WJ brakes up front. The ZJ valve is set up for having the same calipers as the XJ in front.

Yeah what he said ^^^ I've got 97' zj brakes on a 00' 8.25 under a 92 Cherokee.... you should see the parts guys faces when you say that to them. Haha

I hear you there ...
'99 WJ Knuckles w/ Teeves front brakes,
Dodge 1-ton tie rod ends, and GM 1-ton drag link ends (or is that the other way around? I save them headaches by just using part numbers).
'95 ZJ Rear brackets
'06 TJ TJ calipers and rotors
rear shocks spec'd fto '02 Colorado (or JK 2.5" lift)
front shocks to '08 JK 4" (or '04 F-150)

When they ask what for I just say use the part number it'll be easier, once I start explaining they stop asking what's that for.

And back to topic, I'm rolling WJ fronts, ZJ/TJ rears and stock '00 XJ booster and MC and Prop, brakes work great and haven't needed to swap the ZJ valve in yet (although I do have it).

Back