• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

s10/dalota leafs: real date for bastard packs

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
s10/dakota leafs: real date for bastard packs

so for a while I had been set that dakotas leafs were the way to go because they were softer and better flex while the s10 were more stiffer and yielded a higher lift for bastard packs, but I then started to read that s10 were actually softer and better?!?!?!? so now my quest is to find real data, not opinions of which is better, now spring rate is what we are looking for and the softer the spring rate the better the ride and flex.now I cant find the spring rate since I suck at web searching(maybe someone could chime in?) but in my serch to find info I did stumble upon something different? most say to go for early model dakota leafs(90'-95') but searching yielded me that the 97'-98' 4 leaf pack was thinner and had a less weight carrying capacity meaning it is a softer spring.
difference: dakota leafs.
86'-96'
1. Spring Capacity = 2550 lbs
Width = 2-1/2
# of Leaves = 4(3/1)
Pack Thickness = 1-3/4

97'-98' had two versions:

1. Spring Capacity = 1800 lbs
Width = 2-1/2
# of Leaves = 4(3/1)
Pack Thickness = 1-9/16

2. Spring Capacity = 1100 lbs
Width = 2-1/2
# of Leaves = 5
Pack Thickness = 1-7/16

chevy s10.
82'-94' had three different leaf packs:
1. Spring Capacity = 1100 lbs
Width = 2-1/2
# of Leaves = 3(2/1)
Pack Thickness = 1-5/16

2. Spring Capacity = 1350 lbs
Width = 2-1/2
# of Leaves = 4(3/1)
Pack Thickness = 1-1/2

3. Spring Capacity = 1750 lbs
Width = 2-1/2
# of Leaves = 5(4/1)
Pack Thickness = 1-7/8

now its easy to see that the 97'-98' dakota had a soft spring with 5 leafs and a thickness of 1-7/16 meaning each spring is roughly .29 thick.
while the softest s10 is 1-5/16 with only 3 springs giving a rough thickness of .43

my conclusion: if you get the right leaf pack from either the dakota or s10, the ride will be the same and the flex should be the same. but the only difference I see is the height you'll get from each since the dakota is thinner, you get a less height lift than using the more thicker s10 leafs.

now I'm no engineer or math wizard but this is going off of what I know of physics and how things work, if there is some error, please let me know and I'll change it. I am making this because I was having difficulty's trying to figure out which leafs to use and what model because there is a lot of hear say and opinions. hopefully this can actually give some real insight as to what kind of bastard pack you want and what type of firmness/softness of springs to look for when your out assembling your pack.
hope this helps

edit: another factor to play in to this.
84'-01' jeep cherokee
1. Spring Capacity = 655 lbs
Width = 2-1/2
# of Leaves = 4
Pack Thickness = 1

2. Spring Capacity = 745 lbs
Width = 2-1/2
# of Leaves = 4
Pack Thickness = 1-1/8

it might be smarter to just use stock chero leafs if you want the softest possible ride and flex? just check yours first to see if its the higher capacity spring or not first.

Last edited:
Wow.... my eyes hurt.

You have to take spring arch into your calculations as well, not just the thickness of the individual leaves or the pack it's self...

That being said, I used 2 xj packs, well... I used the main and 3rd leaf (2nd shortest) in mine and couldn't tell a difference in stock ride to what it is now

I ran 88? Dakota leafs and it rode firm, I'm running idk 90 something s-10'a now and they flex really well but also ride sorta firm.

Bottom line I'm more impressed with my S-10 overall performance
S-10 rear leafs and JKS shackles on 31's
8EBE0FFD-F7CA-4513-B0DB-828493E60AC1-4414-000001ED0990A01F.jpg

All I could get with 33's and open diffs
IMG_0432.jpg

Sure ur looking at 33's vs 31's but my first pic clearly droops a lot more and lift heights are both 4" lifts.
IMG_0093.jpg

06784642-C500-4D60-B972-DA276618D928-6624-00000341C43CBAD4.jpg

This site has a wealth of knowledge about what came in what years.

http://www.generalspringkc.com/Leaf_Springs_s/1817.htm

I wanted a low lift pack that would handle towing better as I already had shackle relocators and wanted to keep the lift low. Settled on some dodge van oneton leaves and rebuilt them into a five leaf pack and man the ride and flex great. And tow very well.

Funny you should post that link, lol that's where I got those numbers for the chero, s10, and the Dakota lol

I ran 88? Dakota leafs and it rode firm, I'm running idk 90 something s-10'a now and they flex really well but also ride sorta firm.

Bottom line I'm more impressed with my S-10 overall performance
S-10 rear leafs and JKS shackles on 31's
8EBE0FFD-F7CA-4513-B0DB-828493E60AC1-4414-000001ED0990A01F.jpg

All I could get with 33's and open diffs

That sure is quite a well built...blonde under your jeep! :laugh3:

Yeah shes very beautiful and very into jeeps lol, it's my brothers flavor of the week... He is that guy livin the dream, he's like the real life failure to launch sorta guy only he has his own place already lol... He dates beautiful girls until they want to start getting serious then they got to go. I hate him sometimes :)

Re: s10/dakota leafs: real date for bastard packs

DAKOTA.
86'-96'
1. Spring Capacity = 2550 lbs
Width = 2-1/2
# of Leaves = 4(3/1)
Pack Thickness = 1-3/4
spring rate= 377

97'-98' had two versions:

1. Spring Capacity = 1800 lbs
Width = 2-1/2
# of Leaves = 4(3/1)
Pack Thickness = 1-9/16
spring rate= 281

2. Spring Capacity = 1100 lbs
Width = 2-1/2
# of Leaves = 5
Pack Thickness = 1-7/16
spring rate= 130

CHEVY S10.
82'-94' had three different leaf packs:
1. Spring Capacity = 1100 lbs
Width = 2-1/2
# of Leaves = 3(2/1)
Pack Thickness = 1-5/16
spring rate= 316

2. Spring Capacity = 1350 lbs
Width = 2-1/2
# of Leaves = 4(3/1)
Pack Thickness = 1-1/2
spring rate= 268

3. Spring Capacity = 1750 lbs
Width = 2-1/2
# of Leaves = 5(4/1)
Pack Thickness = 1-7/8
spring rate= 644

JEEP:
84'-01' jeep cherokee
1. Spring Capacity = 655 lbs
Width = 2-1/2
# of Leaves = 4
Pack Thickness = 1
spring rate= 5

2. Spring Capacity = 745 lbs
Width = 2-1/2
# of Leaves = 4
Pack Thickness = 1-1/8
spring rate= 134

alright I have added the spring rate to all of these so you can get a better view of which springs for a bastard pack would be good, no this is not for height, we all seen and read that the dakotas/s10 will give around 3"-4" of lift but this is for you to choose which leafs to use if you want the best ride, flex, towing, etc.......

hopefully the mods will see this and might sticky it or something so that others who want to build a bastard pack for their cherokees can get a better idea on facts of which set up they would like compare to reading hearsay and opinions of leafs being softer, firmer, flexier, etc...

Yeah shes very beautiful and very into jeeps lol, it's my brothers flavor of the week... He is that guy livin the dream, he's like the real life failure to launch sorta guy only he has his own place already lol... He dates beautiful girls until they want to start getting serious then they got to go. I hate him sometimes :)

Please feel free to kick him in the cojones! ;0 Or better yet... threaten him with MY life! I did the same thing in my young and beasty days...Now I'm 41 and still single. May have to tie a blank check around my neck at this point to get a better half! hahahaha!
Thanks for the data too! I am still curious about the Ranger springs and how they compare. :)

Ill get to those in a day or two, right now I'm to tired lol only issue is not being able to edit my posts so I can have the current info all on the first post :/

Dont know about ranger springs but I'm running explorers and they do just fine, pretty flexy actually.. till i put another AAL in them, now they are a bit firm but got 5 inches of lift with XJ main, Sploder main, Sploder second and third, and S10 short AAL

Having built several different bastard packs for different purposes, DD, expedition, super flexy (no load carrying) and stiff with lots of compression distance for fast driving in washes I feel pretty good about saying there is no best single donor spring or stack combo. Set one up, run it, change it, rebuild for another condition. Right now I DD with spares aboard, drive to a park nearly bottomed out with spares,food and camping gear where I unload and wheel so I have a fairly soft set up with about 3 inches up and 7 or 8 inches down on 4-1/2 inches of lift. The leaves are some combination of S-10 cut down main for a second leaf, a Bronco II in the middle with the rivet on fold over clamps straightened so they stick up and keep the leafs aligned and an XJ leaf stuck in there somewhere. I use a couple very short XJ or Bronco II leaves to act as spacers to trim the lift.

Let the flames begin: I have an 8 inch long 1" lift block I cut from forged aluminum machined at a taper for pinion alignment with a curved top to prevent leaf cracking. A couple inches of lift from a long shackle and a shackle box relocation kit. The leafs are almost flat at ride height but have a ton of down travel and negative arch on up travel.

It works for me. Once you start building bastard packs you can mix and match, tune and adjust till you have something you like. Just dig in and do it. The only right answer is the one you like.

John

IMG_0093.jpg

Anyone can jump in and buy random leaf packs and swap and experiment but wouldn't that raise the price of them to almost the price of new or used name brand leaf packs? This way you can do your math right on height, flex, comfort, load, etc.. And have your leaf pack set the way you want it the first time for minimal amount of money. Anyone can just buy random leafs and do it that way but this is for the more methodical person who wants to do it right the first time.

Back