• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 Waggy spark plug engine problem pictures!!

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
I have had (still have) 4 good cylinders 3-6, since I bought the beast about 7 years ago, and plugs 1 and 2 would be slightly black and oil contaminated after a good number of miles at each tune up. I replaced the plugs about 2500 miles ago with a full tune up. But I had a sudden miss fire develop this past week, and these are photos of the #1 and #2 plugs.

Last time I checked compression it was on the low end of the OK range. I cleaned the 2 spark plugs and the engine is running fine again, for now. My MPG city on the last tank of gas was 15.6 MPG. The other 4 spark plugs look new brand new.

picture.php

Plug #1 above

picture.php

The following are pictures of plug #2

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
hmmmm..... I can not see the pictures, but could this be a case of two bad injectors on #1 and #2??? That could wash out the ring seal, and make it pump more oil??? Here are two ideas... A. Go buy two new Champion spark plugs in a higher heat range. If you run RC12YC, then buy two of the RC14YC, and see if it burns off the extra oil. B. Go buy two new injectors for a Dodge NEON, and put those in for #1 and #2 injectors. Not gonna hurt a thing, and it may fix the issues...

I think an updated compression test is in order.

What brand spark plugs are those?

Performance has not fallen off yet as long as I clean the two plugs, but the fouling rate on those 2 plugs has increased (use to take 25,000 miles to foul them good, then 10,000....) . Autolite single platinum, that are rated for the XJ 4.0, I use them on all the jeeps, since 2004.

hmmmm..... I can not see the pictures, but could this be a case of two bad injectors on #1 and #2??? That could wash out the ring seal, and make it pump more oil??? Here are two ideas... A. Go buy two new Champion spark plugs in a higher heat range. If you run RC12YC, then buy two of the RC14YC, and see if it burns off the extra oil. B. Go buy two new injectors for a Dodge NEON, and put those in for #1 and #2 injectors. Not gonna hurt a thing, and it may fix the issues...

Injectors are Five-o, Bosch, 4 hole, new about 40,000 miles ago. They are working fine.

I'm with JaVaLin I'd put a couple of RC 14s in there and see what happens. The only time it is likely to cause any serious issue is prolonged high speeds, piston scorch. For mostly city driving the RC 14's may be a better choice anyway. You may pick up a minor ping driving up a hill with hotter plugs.

I know mine tend to foul a bit when I do to many short trips. Ten miles or so at 75 miles an hour tends to work wonders for the idle.

Just for giggles measure the resistance in the Autolite plug and a regular old RC 12. Ohm test from the top of the plug to the center electrode. I was amazed at the actual difference in the two the last time I did this. I really don't know if the extra resistance is a good thing or a bad thing, but it is unlikely to be the way the system was designed to function optimally.

I've tried different plugs, Bosch, NGK etc. and always came back to Champion, they seem to have a better idle, especially in the Renix.

Stock Champion plugs and an OEM coil to cap wire (carbon core) I've found to give the better idle. My plugs seem to last forever, I must have 40-50 good plugs in a box in the garage someplace, that I swapped out unnecessarily. Spark plug wires seemed less critical as long as they didn't test out to infinite resistance. though lower resistance wires do seem to work better as long as they don't mess with your sound system..

Last edited:
I'm with JaVaLin I'd put a couple of RC 14s in there and see what happens. The only time it is likely to cause any serious issue is prolonged high speeds, piston scorch. For mostly city driving the RC 14's may be a better choice anyway. You may pick up a minor ping driving up a hill with hotter plugs.

I know mine tend to foul a bit when I do to many short trips. Ten miles or so at 75 miles an hour tends to work wonders for the idle.

Just for giggles measure the resistance in the Autolite plug and a regular old RC 12. Ohm test from the top of the plug to the center electrode. I was amazed at the actual difference in the two the last time I did this. I really don't know if the extra resistance is a good thing or a bad thing, but it is unlikely to be the way the system was designed to function optimally.

I agree. Try two hotter plugs.

And Mud, don't tell Mike you've got a bunch of used spark plugs laying around. He'll want you to send them to him!! LOL.

I've tried different plugs, Bosch, NGK etc. and always came back to Champion, they seem to have a better idle, especially in the Renix.

Stock Champion plugs and an OEM coil to cap wire (carbon core) I've found to give the better idle. My plugs seem to last forever, I must have 40-50 good plugs in a box in the garage someplace, that I swapped out unnecessarily. Spark plug wires seemed less critical as long as they didn't test out to infinite resistance. though lower resistance wires do seem to work better as long as they don't mess with your sound system..

Have you ever tried autolite single platinum?

By the way, the #1 plug use to look like the #2 plug in the #2 plug photo below, only much worse, more burned oil, wet oil fouled. I am kinda surprised at the lack of comments on the #1 plug photo.

I think I am going to add a silver can of Restore and see if can smooth out the valve stem surface and get a better seal on the valve stem oil seal (that I suspect to be the cause), and the piston and piston rings on #2 (one or both must be the source of the oil...., since I do not know which is leaking the oil, Restore may slow the leak rate a bunch). It did wonders for the 96 Ford for about 20,000 miles and 2 years before we finally pulled the cracked heads (Aluminum).

Can't see pics either. FWIW heres a pic of my plugs with 30,000mi. on them with 425,000mi. on the mill.
picture.php
picture.php

I wonder what browser they are using, or smart phones?

I use Firefox most of the time so I just checked IE 9.0 (I run Vista), and the pictures did not display, but once I logged into NAXJA with my member ID, the pictures showed up!!!!

Kind of odd, but it looks like you need to be logged in to see the photos for IE 9.0, not sure about the rest, but I am always logged in using Firefox. I just upgraded from, version 16 to 17 on Firefox, (15.6" laptop, windows Vista) and they both display the photos.

picture.php

Does it display this way?

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The black ones are all #2 plug, the one white tip one is #1 plug.

Last edited:
Back