• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ar intake

CStamm

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for a cheap way to ditch my air box. I have a Turbo City air tube on my WJ, which works well, but I need something for the XJ. Is there some type of tube that could be hooked into the plastic (that goes into the throttle body) then just hook an air filter on the other end? Has anyone done this before?

Do a search. Tons of information on this board about it over the last several months.

Most people recommend a Large K&N filter on the end of either PVC or 3" exhaust tube. Just use PCV type connectors to hook up the hoses to the pipe.

Total cost about 40-60 depending on what filter and other parts you use.

Michael

You can make one for about $20.00. Just go to Auto Zone and go to the exhaust pipe section. There you'll find a 3" dia. extention (it's about a foot and a half long). Next go to the rice burner isle and get the open element cone filter (comes in a multitude of colors). When you get home disconnect the breather tube from the air box and pull off the fresh air lines to the pcv (to connect the pcv line to the breather tube will take some imagination, but I cut a hole in the tube and inserted a fitting for the line). After fixin' the pcv you're gonna put the breather tube back on the throttle body at about 180 degrees from the original position (back across the valve cover). Then just measure and cut the 3" pipe so the air filter fits snuggly just on the other side of the valve cover. It's an easy job that nets great results and it only takes about 30 minutes (unless you paint the pipe). Sorry for no pics, but it's a great mod and it raises the water forging depth about a foot.:)

Ok, I must've missed what year this was? Early models no workie, you would need to make/buy (ack) an adapter for the TB.

Thanks alot everyone, I think I can rig something up now. BTW its a 92.

Dr. Dyno said:

The only thing I didn't like about your writeup.

"............Another bonus was that the FIPK occupies less space under the hood than the factory airbox. The only downside was a slight whistle at light throttle but this wasn't intrusive.........."

Dude, that heatshield you made takes up way more space than a stock airbox.

About the early models, if you wanted to put the filter in a better location than stock you would have to run an elbow or make up a TB adapter. I could stick a sock on the end of my rubber airtube & call it a filter...........but that's not my approach.

vintagespeed said:
The only thing I didn't like about your writeup.

"............Another bonus was that the FIPK occupies less space under the hood than the factory airbox. The only downside was a slight whistle at light throttle but this wasn't intrusive.........."

Dude, that heatshield you made takes up way more space than a stock airbox.

The photo that you saw is a bit deceptive. When viewed from behind, you'll see that I've freed up a substantial amount of space in front of and below the master cylinder:

FIPK4.jpg

Thanks alot everyone, I think I can rig something up now. BTW its a 92.

The heat shield is an important part, don't forget to make one. Mine and Dino's are great examples. Not only are these 'heat' shields, but they keep mud and water off of the cone filter. At first I had no guard around mine and I ruined a filter going through some nasty wet stuff. There's also some holes in the metal below where the airbox was, you'll want to cover those too if you like to play in water!

The filter is the expensive part, you want to avoid buying a second one! :D

Back