• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Eco light on overhead dash

irontom

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I have a 1997 4.0 Limited.

I have the overhead dash with the MPG and other information.

I also have an "ECO" light there that is shown next to some of the readouts. What does it signify? This is driving me nuts for some time now. I tried to check if it lets me know that I have an economical MPG. I never was able to "turn it off" with low MPG (1-4MPG). I think the Grand Cherokees had a power/eco button, but I never heard of one in our XJs.

I just think that it means avg eco and eco as in your current economy... Am I right?

I don't have an owners manual of course.

TIA!

Last edited:
I also have an "ECO" light there that is shown next to some of the readouts. What does it signify? This is driving me nuts for some time now. I tried to check if it lets me know that I have an economical MPG. I never was able to "turn it off" with low MPG (1-4MPG). I think the Grand Cherokees had a power/eco button, but I never heard of one in our XJs.

I just think that it means avg eco and eco as in your current economy... Am I right?

I don't have an owners manual of course.

TIA!

Older XJs had a Power / Comfort button on either the center console or dash (been a while since I've had one). Both my 87 and 88 had that button, all it does is change shift points.

Eco = current MPG
Avg Eco = average MPG

^ Those are both wildly off with bigger tires if you haven't regeared and/or changed the speedo gear.

^ Those are both wildly off with bigger tires if you haven't regeared and/or changed the speedo gear.

Actually I corrected my speedo (still using factory 3.55 gears) and surprisingly they are both fairly accurate with my 33s. I know this because I am constantly checking it and it is never off by more than 1 mpg from my calculations. I also know it is fairly accurate because it says it is as bad as my calculations come out to haha

Back