• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New owner! Please help!!

92cheroke

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92. 5 speed manual. I replaced the slave cylinder because it completely wore out and dumped all of the fluid. I replaced the slave cylinder and the clutch because it came with the kit. I got everything back together and refilled the reservoir, then immediately noticed a leak out of the bell housing. Come to find out that there is a small O-ring that seals the fluid into the slave cylinder, that was missing from the set up I bought from Autozone. So I got the O-rings off of the old one and now it seems to be holding its fluid. I refilled the reservoir again and bled the lines. Now the interesting part, It seems that if I drive for more than 15 minutes the pedal has to be mashed into the floor and then I can pull my stick out of gear. My reverse gear will disengage sometimes if I leave it in 1st for about 10 seconds and then put it in reverse. Even then it will grind. I am tired of getting looks from everybody thinking I don't know how to drive my vehicle. Any help would be much appreciated. -John.

Sounds like you still have air in the line, and or a leak. My MC failed right after replacing the SC, and then the line itself failed, then it took forever to bleed the damn thing. The slave cyl has a dead spot in it that traps air.

I have noticed small drops of a fluid dripping out. But every time I check the master its full. One thing to note, the rubber gasket that goes in the master cylinder is almost always sideways. Indicating to me that some sort of pressure is somehow building up in there. From what I understand that shouldn't happen though, right?

Mine is an 85, so I don't know about yours. But air leaks easier than liquid, so air is getting into it. It needs to be total airless, no air, all liquid end to end to work right all time.

Two man bleed job, and I moved the slave valve rod back as far as I could into its housing by hand on each return stroke of the foot peddle.

The last time I did it, I was by myself, and I just pumped the the holy hell out of it very fast about 500 times, then let it set for an hour, and repeated it. Did that three times and each time I got foam in the MC, and I topped off the MC each time after the foam broke up. I was surprised at how well that worked.

Back