• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new guy with a question

ClydeIsMyRide

NAXJA Forum User
I'm not sure if this is the right section or not, so i apologize if its not. I'm a new XJ owner and i need tips on outfitting it for off road driving, rock crawling etc how much should it cost in general? what are the best brands to go with?

List year as well, and if it is daily driver or whatever. For starters, if it is a 97 or newer (stronger 29 spline 8.25 rear axle) and possibly has the high pinion dana 30 axle in the front, I would not hesitate to run 33x12.50 tires and about 5.5 inches of lift or so, pick out your choice of 15x8 or 15x10 wheel (aluminum or steel, steel may rust a few years down).

You probably have open differentials, as in only 1 tire spins per axle, so your jeep will honestly not be too capable until a rear locker is installed, but it is never a bad thing to get a feel for the jeep on the trails with open diffs.

Your lift is going to run you $450 to $800 if you go above 4". Adjustable control arms are a big plus but makes the price go up. I am a big fan of having at least the uppers be adjustable. If you stay under 5.5" of lift you may be able to get away with just a 1" transfer case drop, other wise you may need a slip yoke eliminator, aka SYE as well as a rear drive shaft (research that on here, you'll find out lots)

People will mention gears in the axles to make up for the larger tires, but if money is of concern, you will be fine with 33s and stock gearing, but it would be a good idea to re-gear at some point (4.10's or 4.56's), after paying some one to do it though, you are looking at around $900 for parts and labor.

I would search craigslist and local forums for tires and wheels, but look closely for dry rot on used tires. For what it's worth, I've bought a few sets of used tires with good luck. I say this stuff assuming there is somewhat of a budget.

That is some very broad, basic info (maybe you already knew this stuff, idk), but it will get you started.

I'm not sure if this is the right section or not, so i apologize if its not. I'm a new XJ owner and i need tips on outfitting it for off road driving, rock crawling etc how much should it cost in general? what are the best brands to go with?

Sounds like you need to do real research, not ask a question on a Forum and expect spoon fed answers. The reason why I suggest that is that you can literally spend every last dime you have.

I hung out with a pretty basic bunch early on. There were no "lift kits", you made your own. You can also if you do the research. If you have more time and skill than money, this is your path.

Or you can go down a buy your lift, and put it on yourself. They come in "mild" to "Wild" and make no mistake about it, no kit is "complete". Each vendor leaves something out to keep their cost about even with every other lift kit in that size. No particular brand to avoid; it's all about what you want to pay for the features you want.

Speaking of that, what DO you want? Have you been Off-Road, do you want to go Off-Road, or do you just want a dependable lifted DD? Do you hang out with a local Club or Group? What are they running?

Back