• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 swap info

dypstick

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 4.0/AX15/np321. I have a line on a replacement AX15 from a 91 wrangler that comes with an external slave bellhousing. Will that be a direct swap, or are there differences that I need to know about? Does it matter if it came from a 4wd or 2wd? Thanks

If it came from a 91 Wrangler with an external slave, it's not a 91 transmission. 91 Wranglers left the factory with internal slaves.

The tailshaft housing is different between 2wd and 4wd.

I read it as the transmission comes with an additional bellhousing with the external slave.

from the ad:
>AX-15 Transmission.
>Might need a syncro. This trans was a little hard to get into first gear when it got hot. There may be nothing wrong with it because my new trans doses the same thing - it may have just been a clurch issue. Also comes with an external slave bellhousing

Thanks for the info

Come to think of it, there might be one other difference between a YJ AX15 and an XJ AX15: clocking for the transfer case.

Jeff is right.

external vs internal slave: swap the bellhousing, input bearing retainer plate, and clutch fork etc from your old trans onto the new one.
2wd vs 4wd: need to swap the output shaft, tailhousing, and a bunch of other crap. Might as well just rebuild yours.
YJ vs XJ: tailhousing clocking is different on 4wd, there is no clocking on 2wd obviously. Swap your tailhousing on (this is somewhat of a pain) and you'll be fine.

Probably a few other minor changes I'm missing. Oh, the shift tower and rod are slightly different, just put yours on it.

Back