• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

why does the electric fan come on when the a/c is on?

outracing

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all. I know that it is supposed to, but I am just wondering why is it that the electric fan runs when the AC pump is engaged? Is that tiny fan keeping me from over heating something? Does any one know the real reason?

Yes, it avoids overheating.

It is far more effecient to prevent overheating by providing extra cooling on demand than it is to cool the system after it has overheated.

Hey all. I know that it is supposed to, but I am just wondering why is it that the electric fan runs when the AC pump is engaged? Is that tiny fan keeping me from over heating something? Does any one know the real reason?

to dissipate the heat generated when compressing the tetrafluoromethane

I was born and raised in Texas. I don't remember folks using those $3 words,

It actually come on to blow air across the condensor to aid wit the proper operation of the ac to condens freon. but the air flow cools radiator to

Two primary reasons:
- Increased engine loading, from turning the compressor.
- Increased thermal loading, because the condenser is in front of the radiator.

With wives you don't need a fan or a motor for that matter. You just aim them out the rear for the jet engine effect. And guess what, my wife doesn't read my NAXJA posts.

:huh:

And guess what, my wife doesn't read my NAXJA posts.

Good thing. Neither does mine but sometimes I leave my computer "up"...I'd hate to see you get into any trouble :gee:.

...and back to the OP...if, and before you asked...the compressor is on to remove moisture from the inside air. Just sayin'

5-90 hit on it a little but I will hit on it in more generic terms. The A/C system produces heat, just like the engine does while its running. The A/C(tetrafluoromethane) pulls the heat out of the passenger compartment, where it pushes it away out at the condensor. With the condensor being in front of a radiator, and as you drive the cooling air(well while you are moving), pushes the heated air from the condensor into the radiator, which actually adds heat to the water that is trying to release said heat itself. The engine driven fan(for those that still have one), moves some air, but while sitting in traffic, not enough keep the temps low(especially in like AZ where it can hit 115+). All the added heat required the engineers to come up with a neat way to remove heat while driving or idling. The electric fan on the later models(97+) supposedly moves quite a bit of air, however the earlier model one(pre 97) does a pretty good job as well. All I can say is the additional heat from running the A/C caused the engieers to rethink their initial design, and add the electric fan to come on when the A/C is switched on. Does that help a little??

Jeff

And then the engineers changed their mind and in 00 & 01 models the electric fan doesn't automatically come on when the AC is turned on, but is controlled by the computer.

5-90 hit on it a little but I will hit on it in more generic terms. The A/C system produces heat, just like the engine does while its running. The A/C(tetrafluoromethane) pulls the heat out of the passenger compartment, where it pushes it away out at the condensor. With the condensor being in front of a radiator, and as you drive the cooling air(well while you are moving), pushes the heated air from the condensor into the radiator, which actually adds heat to the water that is trying to release said heat itself. The engine driven fan(for those that still have one), moves some air, but while sitting in traffic, not enough keep the temps low(especially in like AZ where it can hit 115+). All the added heat required the engineers to come up with a neat way to remove heat while driving or idling. The electric fan on the later models(97+) supposedly moves quite a bit of air, however the earlier model one(pre 97) does a pretty good job as well. All I can say is the additional heat from running the A/C caused the engieers to rethink their initial design, and add the electric fan to come on when the A/C is switched on. Does that help a little??

Jeff

I didn't know how far into thermodynamics he wanted to go - so I simplified it immensely. But, the core issues were still covered!

Thermodynamics is not for the ill-prepared...

Back