• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pump Access Mod

Gonepostal

NAXJA Forum User
OK so here is what I am thinking. I have worked on cars as old as 1926 and older vehicles that had the tank under the rear or trunk and sometimes even the floor had a small panel that allowed access to the top of the fuel tank to the fuel lines and sending unit. Why manufacturers don't still do this is idiotic! Especially with the newer fuel injection pumps being located in the tank. I’ve lost a couple of these things and they never go out some place convenient.

Does anyone know if someone has ever cut a hole in the cargo area just above the fuel pump that would allow the fuel pump assembly to easily be changed on later XJ models? I realize that the pumps are fairly reliable, but Jeep also chose to attach the filter/pressure regulator to the top of the pump assembly. Let’s face it changing that itty bitty filter every once in a while would be nice. However, I would like to be able to perform maintenance on the pump and filter without having to pull the hitch, tank skid, and tank. An access panel would make maintenance easy and quick, even while on a trail.

Here is my plan. I am going to locate the area for the access hole and mark it. Determine the size of my access panel hole making it large enough to pull the pump assembly, but staying as small as feasible. For a cover I will go the local wrecking yard and get the corresponding section of XJ rear cargo deck, making this extra large so I can trim it to fit with about ½ to ¾ inch of overlap so it can be sealed and screwed down.

I will document the mod and post it up when I do the work.

I probably should not write this next part but, please feel free to correct me or be critical. I am looking for any and all constructive criticism.

Maybe it has something to do with the older car's being body-on-frame construction, and the xj being a newer style unibody.

I would make sure your access hole has a rounded shape, to avoid starting any tears in the sheet metal at the corners, maybe even put a bead or flange around the hole to strengthen it up.

I've heard of the same thing being done on F-bodies.
I did the same in my XJ for upper shock mount access.
I don't know what to use as reference on the top side, but there is no reason you couldn't do this and make a small hatch to put back over the hole.

What year is this anyway? Older models, you can just loosen the straps and reach around the front of the tank without completely dropping it. Not so much with the newer models.

What year is this anyway? Older models, you can just loosen the straps and reach around the front of the tank without completely dropping it. Not so much with the newer models.

You don't even have to loosen the straps on metal tank xj's. The pump is fully and easily accessable from underneath the jeep. That's one thing that I miss about my 89.. Damn 97..

Its a 98. The pump is removed from the top side of the tank. Gotta love that plastic tank with a threaded ring idea.

Yeah, I did it on my 99 about a year ago. Made sure to spring for a bosch unit too since I only wanted to do it once. I'll be damned if I didn't lose a little bit of mileage though.

I do remember someone asking this question before, and IIRC, there is a thread on it somewhere.

It seems to me that to do the mod safely and make sure not to puncture the tank, you'd want to drop the tank anyway.

While the tank is down, you might just as well replace the pump :)

Last edited:
my jeep died in a cvs parking lot, there was an advance auto parts next door.

pulled up the carpet, whipped out a screwdriver and hammer, and sliced the screwdriver through the metal.

when i got home i just used some small screws, sealer of some sort, and a piece of sheet metal to seal it back up.

came in handy later in the jeeps life too.

You might as well drop the tank to make your access panel. You might as well just cut out the whole floor while you're in there and raise the tank. You might as well plate the rear frame while you're at it. You might as well ditch the stock tank and go to a fuel cell.

Stop me before I get to a tube buggy.

You might as well drop the tank to make your access panel. You might as well just cut out the whole floor while you're in there and raise the tank. You might as well plate the rear frame while you're at it. You might as well ditch the stock tank and go to a fuel cell.

Stop me before I get to a tube buggy.

Maybe later this also my DD so I gotta have it for a while. I do like the idea though.

Back