• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ahhhhh!!!!! Not what I was thinking

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So I'm changing the oil in my front axle(d30) and I originally been told was I just need rtv/atv/ something to seal the diff cover but I just took it off and it has both a paper and rtv sealant?!? Do I need the paper seal or not? And also do I spay the inside of the axle with brake cleaner or just leave it and fill it back up with new oil? Need answers ASAP since its out in the gravel drive way with an open diff.

you can use either or both.

Next time you do this, do yourself a favor and order up a lubelocker gasket. Not having to scrape RTV again is worth it.

Thanks all, ya I'm going to buy a lubegasket for when I do the rear axle next, that shit is a pain. I appreciate it guys

I just read that a magnet will help keep metal shaving in the port hole or something, does it have to be glued or can it be dropped in and the magnetism will hold it?

I hate RTV on diff covers too, but I have my own method of sealing them. After cleaning off the original RTV seal, I use a paper gasket and spray the side that mates to the cover with that copper gasket spray. I then adhere that to the cover. I then smear a thin layer of axle grease on the other side and bolt the cover up, torquing to spec. When time comes to drain and refill in the future, the cover will come off easily after unbolting and the gasket remains attached to the cover. Just wipe off and reapply the grease as long as the gasket is intact. I have three Jeeps and haven't had any sealing issues.

Whether using LubeLocker or my method, the biggest amount of time spent will be removing the old RTV. When I drain and refill the diffs, all I need to do is wipe off the inside of the cover, wipe a little wheel bearing grease over the old paper gasket and reinstall. The grease prevents the gasket from bonding to the diff housing, so that when you remove the cover the gasket remains attached to the cover. I still keep a spare gasket on hand in case the old one rips, but have had good luck so far. The LubeLocker is an excellent gasket, I use one on the trans pan of my Rubi, but don't think it's needed for a diff. LubeLocker also makes no guarantee that its gasket is reusable although everyone seems to without problems (just a CYA disclaimer I guess).

Another lubelocker vote here, I use a brass wire wheel to strip rtv. Doesn't damage sealing surfaces and still tears up rtv and old gaskets.

Lubelockers front and rear for the win......makes changes a snap and will likely last the lifetime of your rig.

Maybe I'm weird? But I just lay a good (as even as you can) bead on the diff cover and let it dry, then use some diff fluid wiped on the housing to stop it from sticking to it.. poor mans lube locker I guess... if it peels off it is one nice continuous bead instead of just smeared rtv. Just another method to throw out there

Edit, also if you cut the rtv tube a bit fat and pinch it with pliers you can lay about a 1/2" wide bead down

Back