• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

91 Dana 30 into 01 2WD?

jeepdreamer

NAXJA Forum User
Before I get all excited and dreaming about spinning wrenches... Can anyone foresee and trouble/issues that could come from this swap?
I have an 01 2WD Automatic XJ and a rust bucket 91 5 speed 4x4 one. In an effort to salvage parts from the 91 does anyone see anything on its front Dana 30 that wouldn't be a direct bolt in? Brakes/lines and steering are the two biggest thoughts in my mind so I'd appreciate some input if you folks don't mind to much. Otherwise I'll just leave the rust bucket alone and hope to sell it for some of the $$ I have in it already. :(
All this is in Germany by the way so don't get to excited. haha!

Correct, 84-91 used the Central Axle Disconnect housing.

The limited and any AWD models will mot have the CAD. Just an FYI.

Thanks guys... I almost forgot about the disco housing, lol! I'll have to look at it again tomorrow to verify. I wish I had a little more time here in Germany so I could at least fix the major rust issues and sell the thing for some of my $$. :( I bought it for 500 bucks and spent a couple weeks doing almost ALL the engine seals etc,then front brakes. So between parts and shop time (rented by the hour basically) I prob have over a grand in a rusty old turd. lol! Shame I can't bring all 3 of my Jeeps back to the states with me. :)

Thanks guys... I almost forgot about the disco housing, lol! I'll have to look at it again tomorrow to verify. I wish I had a little more time here in Germany so I could at least fix the major rust issues and sell the thing for some of my $$. :( I bought it for 500 bucks and spent a couple weeks doing almost ALL the engine seals etc,then front brakes. So between parts and shop time (rented by the hour basically) I prob have over a grand in a rusty old turd. lol! Shame I can't bring all 3 of my Jeeps back to the states with me. :)

Assuming the factory transmission/trasfer case/front axle are in place, it will be a disco housing.

5 speeds didn't come factory with 242s, and 231s came with disco housings in '91.

Hence why XJEEPER and I stated that.

Thanks...Saves me a trip laying on the frozen ground to peep. :) What is the "magic" years that had the HP/Non disco? Did it also get the larger U joints? Just wondering what to keep my eyes peeled for when I get back home.

I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that '92-99 had HP non-disco housings, or any '84-99 XJ that had a full-time case (NP242).

The larger u-joints (x297) were used on every '95+ XJ, and used on every XJ that had ABS if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not 100% on that information as I haven't dealt with it in awhile.

I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that '92-99 had HP non-disco housings, or any '84-99 XJ that had a full-time case (NP242).

The larger u-joints (x297) were used on every '95+ XJ, and used on every XJ that had ABS if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not 100% on that information as I haven't dealt with it in awhile.
Reasonably certain this is accurate.

To add to that, the axleshafts on ?? and earlier (I want to say 93 or 94, but I'm honestly not sure) that have the separate forging for the ujoint yoke splined and pressed onto the actual axleshaft are rumored to be weaker than the newer shafts which are a one piece forging. GrimmJeeper (iirc) has said this, I've experienced it, and it makes logical sense if you think about it. It's a bit of a shame, the splined together shafts seem much larger diameter from the yoke to the neck-down for the diff seal and side gear spline.

You can recognize them by two things - if you look into the yoke area under the U-joint, the end of the splined shaft will be visible on the early design while it isn't on the later design. Also the early splined yoke design has a round shape (looking into it from the view of the wheel) while the later one piece forging doesn't. The back profile of the yoke is much flatter on the 2 piece rather than tapered on the 1 piece.

Here's a pic that shows the differences - crummy 2 piece on the top, good 1 piece on the bottom:
2z7hb0z.jpg

I wish U-joint size was an accurate indicator of which shaft was which design, but I don't believe it is. IIRC the 2 piece design was used till 95 on the wrangler since it has CAD all the way through the end of the YJ - but I'm not sure, really. I've never seen a 260 joint size 1-piece shaft, and I've never seen a 297 joint size 2-piece, though I am reasonably certain the YJ got 297 size shafts in 95 just like the XJ did. Just never been under a 95 YJ that still had factory shafts in it.

Last edited:
can't he just ditch the cad mechanism & throw in a 1 piece shaft? I think maybe a different seal may be needed on the passenger side..
(borrowed pic, i dont actually have those shoes....)

be536081.jpg

Back