• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep will not move

ryan4398

NAXJA Forum User
So I just bought this 2000 jeep cherokee sport 4x4 4.0L automatic. As I am driving it all of a sudden it stops accelerating. I press on the gas and the engine revs up but I do not go any faster. I pulled over to try and figure out what is going on with no luck. I can place the trans in 1.2.D. or R and it wont move at all. I also tried switching from 2H to 4L and 4H and still nothing. I can push it in neutral so I know the brakes are not locked up and I checked the transfer case and trans fluid levels both of which were fine. Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem?

Do you have a Check Engine light illuminated on the dash?
Do you hear any noises from underneath the vehicle like metal rubbing when you rev the engine?
Did you hear a rattling sound from underneath the vehicle before this problem?

A somewhat common occurance is missing torque converter bolts.
There is a stamped metal inspection cover at the back on the bottom of the bellhousing that can be removed to inspect the bolts.
They hold the torque converter to the flywheel and back themselves out over time of heating and cooling.
I would suggest you apply blue loctite to the threads of the new bolts before tightening them.

Last edited:
does the check engine light come on when you turn the key to "run" but don't start the Jeep?

no check engine light
no noises of any kind

also forgot to add that I checked to ensure the shifter inside the cab was actually shifting the transfer case and the transmission and it was

does the check engine light come on when you turn the key to "run" but don't start the Jeep?

no check engine light
no noises of any kind

also forgot to add that I checked to ensure the shifter inside the cab was actually shifting the transfer case and the transmission and it was

If your check engine light isn't coming on when you first turn the key to run, there is an issue with the bulb. It should.illuminate for a few seconds at startup as a diagnostic.

If your check engine light isn't coming on when you first turn the key to run, there is an issue with the bulb. It should.illuminate for a few seconds at startup as a diagnostic.

this.

You say you recently bought it.

I wonder if the previous owner pulled the bulb and screwed you with a vehicle that has transmission issues.

not that I don't trust people, but I don't trust people.

Im dont recall whether or not it came on when I started it up. Its at a buddy's house right now otherwise I would go check.

Well, I would check for the self test, and if it doesn't, get a code reader. I bet you get codes. in fact, get a code reader is excellent advice anyway.

I'd also check all of the fuses. The TCU may not be getting power.

Try unplugging and replugging the neutral safety switch. Its the big connector that goes to the trans.

When moving the shifter with the vehicle running, do you feel the trans shift at all? Or is it just dead like the vehicle is off? I've had issues like this in my other car where it will pop out of gear and not move. Pulled codes and it gave me failing solenoid errors. If its an internal issue it could be those failing and not providing line pressure. It could also be a failing tcu.

yeah I can feel and hear the engine pick up the load of the transmission when I shift it to drive I also see the RPMs change at the same time

Part #500
http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/mm5/graphics/Catalog-pdf/A340.pdf

A340.pdf

How difficult is that pump to swap out?

at that point you're rebuilding the trans. It is a major component. No sense in putting a pump in it and not doing all the other wear items while you're there.

If it is the pump it will set DTC's for the input and output speed not matching. Check for the check engine light. If it's missing you know the seller either hosed you, or is clueless. Up to you to determine which.

here's a pretty generic list of codes, I've foujnd it's usually correct:
http://www.allpar.com/fix/computer-codes.html

transmission codes start at p0700

Back