• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88' stick a good choice NEED QUICK REPONSE

98XJLongBuild

NAXJA Forum User
So ive been in the market for a xj but been to picky. So my buddys neighbor has a 88 four door manuel with a 4 liter. Owner says it has a rod knock or something which is fine cause i wanna rebuild the engine any how.

Question is does this year have the renix shit or any other big issues???

Need response quickly

renix is not bad, but yes, it is renix.

It also very likely has a Peugeot BA-10 transmission in it. You don't want that.

Check, a lot of them have already blown up and got replaced with AX-15's.

AX-15=good
BA-10=bad
AX-15 is split laterally, three sections.
BA-10 split longitudinally, two big halves.

Which way can ID if its a BA-10 tranny verses a AX-15???

I want the AX-15 from the get go any ways.

okay well after about a 2 minute search on google the BA-10 has bolts the lenght of the tranny as were the AX-15 does not. So I can ID it that way.

But also found out that they sometimes put the light duty AX5 in it. Obviously I would still want to stick with the AX-15. Which way to distenguish the two. From what I am reading there isnt really and tell sign markets between the two.

From the years of research Ive been doing I never looked at the renix system. So sorry for all the dumb questions but need to move on it if im gonna get it.

From what I have glanced over the years regarding the renix system is that its electrical and sensors and closed loop cooling system.

What other issues do they have.

Working on it and fixiing it wont be a problem I have axcess to alot of knowledable peeps. HAHA

okay well after about a 2 minute search on google the BA-10 has bolts the lenght of the tranny as were the AX-15 does not. So I can ID it that way.

But also found out that they sometimes put the light duty AX5 in it. Obviously I would still want to stick with the AX-15. Which way to distenguish the two. From what I am reading there isnt really and tell sign markets between the two.

That's what I said.

There's no way it should have an AX-5 behind a 4.0. They got put behind the 2.8L V6's, but not behind a 4.0.

From the years of research Ive been doing I never looked at the renix system. So sorry for all the dumb questions but need to move on it if im gonna get it.

From what I have glanced over the years regarding the renix system is that its electrical and sensors and closed loop cooling system.

What other issues do they have.

Working on it and fixiing it wont be a problem I have axcess to alot of knowledable peeps. HAHA
the renix part of an AMC built jeep is not the concern. It's the primary wiring that's crappy. It's easily rectified if you're handy with a multimeter.

the closed cooling system works fine if properly maintained and sealed. A swap to the open HO style system is not hard.

Most of the renix sensors are GM bits and are cheap. There are a few specialty ones like the TPS that can be pricey.

Well turns out that it has the BA -10 so the hunt continues. But thanks for all the quick responses and know i can wipe my head down and know what there is.

I really want a 98 but at this point ill take which ever year is priced right and in good condition for the most part.

Again thanks for the help once again

I initially wanted a later model but got a super cheap 89 back in Aug. Closed cooling is no issue and runs very cool. I thought I wouldn't be able to keep up with all my buddies in the mountains with their 4.0-HO but it wasn't an issue at all. I love it. No regrets.

HO stands for Highly Overrated as you now know.

Heartily Overcompensating?

besides, they got that silly rev limiter that gets in my way.

Back