• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just got a 99 4.0 Xj- want to add OEM options.

thedoctorisin

NAXJA Forum User
New jeep owner, im going to put at least 6 months on her stock as my ski vehicle before I start going to lifts and tires and get into that.

It's got power locks and power windows. I want to add the key fob clicker and fix my auto down button. Anyone ever do this and or could post up a link to a thread i missed?

I also want to put in some heated leather seats from a WJ. I know its pretty basic just looking for the right setup.

I was looking at some rubicon rims and tires but I wasn't sure what year exactly they switched the bolt patterns.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Auto down is a problem with the drivers door switch cluster iirc, you may be able to repair it but might have to buy a new one. I seem to recall there being a way to fix it, but haven't had to deal with that yet myself - I think the window lockout button that makes only the drivers door controls work is broken on mine since I have to control the windows for my passengers, though.

As for the key fob clicker - on a 99 that's going to be the better RF design not the older "have to hold it against the window glass" IR design. The receiver is a PCB in the dome light for the front row seating, I don't remember if the wiring harness for it is present on non-equipped vehicles. If you find a spare connector with at least half a dozen wires going to it up there, you should be able to just swap the module in.

I can't remember if you need to reprogram the ECU to add key fobs to the system, or if you can just swap in a module from the junkyard and use the key fobs that were in that car, if you get lucky enough that they left them there. Some FSM reading may clear that up for you.

edit: I believe on all late models with at least power locks and windows, the wiring is present for power mirrors as well. Find yourself some power heated mirrors (if you don't already have them), bolt them on, and they should just work, though you may have to add the control switch for them also. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but heated mirrors are awesome, and power passenger side mirrors are awesome. Who cares about power driver side mirrors...

easier to grab the heated seats from a ZJ.

You'll need the seta bases and the heater grids.
The seat heater module from under the passenger seat, the switches and the relay module.

check on nagca for the parts listing and the wiring diagrams.
i've spent hte last 2 monts looking at seated heat crap to fix the ones in the XJ that came frm the factory, other than the switches in the coin tray the XJ system is the same as the ZJ system.

i like the idea of heated mirrors, my DD the past couple years which i took to the snow anyway was a 94 towncar with heated mirrors, leather seats, sauna like heater, key fob, and keyless entry pad. still a great round town driver but putting chains on in a foot of snow and riding with chains on pretty much sucks. but it would motor up any hill as long as i went fast enough to not get high centered on a snow bank.

Im going to do a massive detail job on it today and pull the seats and shampoo the carpets and make some measurements. My step dad has a WJ so im going to test fit his leather seats in there and get an idea if the rear seats will work too.

i want to make a sub enclosure or a full cargo cover to hide subs as well.

Ill check out the dome light when today too, (the bulb is burnt) so i can check the wiring situation while thats off.

if i can maybe find a jeep someone is parting out i was going to try and get all the required goodies from that, wires, RF module and key fob. i doubt i can find one in picknpull but i will look. another thing i was thinking about was just adding a keyless entry pad from a ford/linc/merc. ive been pulling wiring diagrams from all data at work and if the system is separate from the main PCM i will do it... its a nice luxury to lock your keys in the car while you are skiing/boarding and hit the pad to get in. (never lose, or get locked out again).

Im going to cover the plastic door panels with some high grade vinyl when I do the speakers as well but thats down the road a bit. (interiors and electrical are kind of my thing) done a few LT1/TPI fuel injection swaps in street cars and a made custom doors and fabbed up some nice enclosures.

Im really just looking at the 16 inch rubicon rims but my ride had the alloy rims already so im not really itchn to get those, just keeping an eye out for a good deal.

i just wish we had some of the options here in the states like they do over seas, rear spoilers, cargo covers, etc. but i guess thats what Ebay is for haha.

ill get some pics up later after my phone gets a full charge. thanks again! keep em comn.

the WJ rear seat does not fit without modification. It is too wide. There's a thread in mod tech that someone had done about putting the split fold seat in the back of an XJ. you'll have to search for it, it's been a while.

There were also factory 16" XJ wheels. Icons and the like. They're on our 01. Otherwise anything from a ZJ/TJ will fit. WJ were different. Anything with a "K" in it is different. I'm unsure about KJ wheels.

thanks for the heads up! wont waste time on it today pulling the seats from the WJ.

I would go with the ZJ heated seat if i can find a pair thats cherry enough, I just like how comfy the WJs are, and they seems to have a more similar shape to the XJ. maybe its because ive been looking at my dads seats too long day dreaming but if i can find ZJ seats at the yard I may just go that route then.

Not to change the subject too much but this forum is the bomb, Ive been on the "thirdgen" and "gbodyforum" for a couple years and there is always conflicting info and people with too many opinions thats bicker back and forth. or even better, problems posed with no solutions or someone says "fixed it" and dont say how. haha, anyway its a refresh to have a quick response!! thanks!

Not to change the subject too much but this forum is the bomb, Ive been on the "thirdgen" and "gbodyforum" for a couple years and there is always conflicting info and people with too many opinions thats bicker back and forth. or even better, problems posed with no solutions or someone says "fixed it" and dont say how. haha, anyway its a refresh to have a quick response!! thanks!

We're not just a forum, we're a club.

If you'd like to meet the people that run the joint, join the club and come wheeling. I promise you'll learn more about taking a Jeep offroad at one event than most people do the entire time they drive one daily.

Club members pay dues, dues are what keep this joint open, that and our sponsors. You'll note that we don't have crazy text advertising, or 9 million banner ads.

So I'd urge you to support the club if you find the information here invaluable, or at least support our sponsors when you're buying goodies for your XJ.

http://sponsorship.naxja.org/

NAXJA members get discounts with the sponsors for the most part, so a membership could pay for itself.

Anything with a "K" in it is different. I'm unsure about KJ wheels.

KJ will mount, but as a stock wheel, the backspacing is not ideal when running larger tires. There's some really nice looking KJ wheels.

06 and down TJ wheels are the same, liberty wheels < 07, and WJ wheels will work. The new JK wranglers are different.

Wj wheels will not work. Zj wheels will though

Back