• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Np242 vs dana300

Luke95

NAXJA Forum User
I have to ask is replacing my np242 with a 300 feasible and would I want to do it?

I believe the 300 is passenger side drop

you're going to have to shorten your front driveshaft and lengthen the rear about 6" or so i believe

Would their be a strength gain though? Is it tougher than a np242?

True that
Might be time to get one and do a sye and wheel her

I am a bit hard on the throttle so I dont really know

True it my dads has survived a 350hp cummins for almost 400,000 miles 170 keep engine should be fine

the primary motivation for going D300 is front digs, and the possibility of a 4:1 gearset.

Not because the 231 is inadequate. It's also very easy to grab a 231C case from the junkyard and upgrade the 231J case with fullsized truck components. 6 planet gearset and a bigger chain.

I dont know much about T cases as is apparent
But thanks for that I will pick one up.

I will say that the 231 is stronger than the 242, so if you beat on it, replace the 242.

The mainshaft in the 242 is necked down right by the speedo gear, it tends to snap right there.

this is what that sounds like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OFfdB5EqvA

a 231J with 231C parts in it will not be the weak link in your drivetrain. I've been wheeling a stock 231 in the rocks with 35's and a 5 spd for a while. I've broken lots of stuff, the 231 (no SYE at that) has never been my concern.

i thought the 242 was a little beefier than a 231j? i have no facts to back that up, just hearsay. not that it matters much, i'm not putting in a 242, i'm just curious.

Thanks for that info it
Btw that sounded healthy!

i thought the 242 was a little beefier than a 231j? i have no facts to back that up, just hearsay. not that it matters much, i'm not putting in a 242, i'm just curious.

input torque is rated less than the 231, because the mainshafts are weaker.

Heavier-duty HD and DHD units are available in ZJ Jeeps and Dodge trucks, respectively. The standard duty OEM 231 transfer cases are capable of transferring from 1600 to 1900 ft. lbs of torque (as claimed by NVG - actual experience puts this number quite a bit higher).

Interestingly, New Venture documents show the 242 as being rated at 1486 ft. lbs. of torque. This is probably determined based on Full-Time position usage. Experience would say that this is a very conservative number for all other positions.

from novak
http://www.novak-adapt.com/

When the one in the video let go another member looked at me and said "He broke the mainshaft, right where the speedo gear is, guaranteed"

He was right. That's where they fail when shock loaded. It's the smallest diameter part of the shaft, and it's certainly smaller than a 231 mainshaft.

I would definitely go with the 231J or 231HD over the 242. There are a few advantages/disadvantages associated with the Dana 300:

Advantages: all gear drive is stronger (no chain to stretch or break), LoMax 4:1 gear set is $600 as opposed to $1000 for a 231 Terralow kit (cheaper to upgrade), twin stick setup allows 2 wheel low (front or rear), longer rear driveshaft reduces likelihood of vibration problems.

Disadvantages: must buy or fab a flip kit (downeastoffroad.com $600), getting harder to find (found on '81-'86 CJs).

Bottom line - if this is a daily driver, trail runner, mild wheelin' rig, the 231 is fine for your needs. If you're building a hardcore crawler, then the dana 300 makes more sense, because it's cheaper than buying a 231 and adding lots of parts to beef it up.

Another consideration: By the time you buy a dana 300, lowmax kit, flip kit, rebuild kit you're looking at about $1500 to $1600. For just over $2K you can buy an Atlas (with a warranty). The Atlas is based on the Dana 300 design with better bearings.

Questions ... How big of tires etc are you planning on going? Is your 242 busted? Are you just wanting to do this just because?

Back