• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch replacement

MiniAmazon

NAXJA Forum User
I have a stock 1995 XJ with a AX15 gearbox. After 221k miles the clutch finally pooped out on me during a 130-mile drive. I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for a decent replacement clutch on a tight budget.:dunno:

Thanks

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with a stock type replacement. If it says Luk on the box (OEM,) go with it.

I'd also suggest just buying a new flywheel. Yeah, I know.... have the current one resurfaced. For what new flywheels go for, I wouldn't bother turning the current one. And new bolts.

Change the throw out bearing for sure. Try rockauto.com online to save money. New flywheel sounds like major overkill to me.

Ditto on what ChiXJeff posted...
I replaced my clutch several years ago and really scuffed the flywheel with a brillo pad. In retrospect I should have replaced the flywheel due to a little chattering when the flywheel gets really warm.
Since the transmission will be removed already; I would recommend also replacing the throwout bearing (Timken bearing) and the thrust bearing that is pressed into the crankshaft. I also replaced the two factory reverse torks bolts at the top of the bellhousing with standard hex head bolts.

Mine went at 200K and I had my flywheel turned, it didn't show real signs of wear and tear but seriously, it was out might as well of cleaned it up. I would only replace yours if you HAVE TO. I had mine turned for like 15$ and it looked brand new.

I went thru Carolina clutch or something like that. Ordered the Luk kit and it came with slave, pilot, clutch and alignment tool. Napa wanted almost as much just for the slave as it cost for everything that I bought online. Didn't touch my flywheel and everything's been great for a year now.

I would replace the pressure plate long before I worried about having issues with the
flywheel!!!!!

Pressure plate should always be replaced with the clutch disk. Always.

Back