• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Champion Radiator # 2 leaking...

Redsnake

NAXJA Forum User
OK, just a bit of a rant...

I had to replace the head on my '01 XJ last year and while doing that, I added a new Champion 3-Core All Aluminum Radiator as my OE unit was horribly clogged. Well, that radiator lasted all of 1 week before the seems started leaking. Put in a call/email to the vendor I purchased it from and he didn't have any 3-core units available. He did however send out a 2-core (plus a refund of the price difference) and I installed that radiator and everything was good w/the universe...

Last night I went out to run an errand or two after getting home from work... and noticed a small puddle in the driveway, which led to some further investigation and now this 2-core Champion radiator is leaking f/the drivers side seam. WTH?!?! This one has been in just under 1 year and it's leaking too. I emailed the vendor but haven't heard back yet... could be I'm just out and will have to buy another one.

Not sure if I could find someone to weld up the aluminum tank or not around here since I rarely see any 'radiator repair' shops anymore. Guess radiators are all throw-away since most OE units are plastic, or partly plastic.

All this to say, buyer beware if you're purchasing a Champion All-Aluminum Radiator. Not sure I'd even want a replacement of the same brand if it was offered. I'd rather just have my $$ back to pick up a CSF unit f/radiatorbarn. Have had very good luck using those in the past in multiple vehicles.

I looked at several aluminum radiator manufacturer/seller websites and the radiators were either back ordered, not made any more or there were quality issues reported by users on the forum. I decided to invest in a Griffin radiator. While they are definitely a lot more expensive; you get what you pay for.
The installation required a few mounting modifications along with installing a 1.5" spacer and new fan blade assembly to replace the stock clutch/fan, but there is A LOT more cooling capacity for the summer months.

Add pepper to the rad.Yes pepper.It will seal the leak an NOT hurt the rest of the cooling .Get the medium size can and pour it in(about half) an run til hot an then shut off till cool, re-add water to proper levels.
Also check your hoses first to make sure they're tight.Now how old are your motor mounts? With the motor moving it will cause you to have problems by the hoses moving and pulling on the rad.

HTH

Add pepper to the rad.Yes pepper.It will seal the leak an NOT hurt the rest of the cooling .Get the medium size can and pour it in(about half) an run til hot an then shut off till cool, re-add water to proper levels.
Also check your hoses first to make sure they're tight.Now how old are your motor mounts? With the motor moving it will cause you to have problems by the hoses moving and pulling on the rad.

HTH

What? I've never heard that, but willing to try it if it will work.... Ha.

Motor mounts are in great shape... running Brown Dog Rubber mounts that are about 5 months old. Auto Transmission mount is ~ 1 month old.

OK on the mounts.Yea i had a OLD man tell me this about 30 years ago, worked great.It held 24lbs before she pop again at a shop when i was getting it fixed after 2 years of driving on it. Right now(last year) i had a rock go thru my rad in my jeep and i have pepper in to seal the leak, hard part was getting to the lines to pinch with needle nose pliers.I carry a can in my jeep all the time.

Pepper huh? That's interesting.

I've seen it done with egg whites; put an egg white in the radiator, run it through for a minute, and it (I assume) clogs up the leaks as the egg whites harden. More of an emergency short-term fix...not as easy to carry around as a can of pepper, either.

I'll have to remember this one...

Thx CharlesS...

For that price I'll have to take a pass. (Not saying it's not worth the money, but just not for me right now)

Quadratec, Jegs, Summit Racing, Amazon, and several others.
The prices varied $579-680 for the 91-98 Jeep Cherokee.

Ouch!

I could buy 5 or 6 cheapies at Auto Zone for that much.

Is there something I am missing? Do the guys running these have other mods that warrant or need this upgrade.

In my experience (limited I admit) If everything else is in good working order, the cheapie aluminum radiators are more than adequate. Only issue is possible plastic tank end cracks. (But the AZ radiators have a lifetime warranty)

HTH

:yelclap: x2

I didn't bother reading the entire post but we are having major issues with Champion aluminum Radiators at out shop. We have installed 4 or 5 and all of them have come back with a leak. Needless to say we are no longer using them.

OK, just a bit of a rant...

I had to replace the head on my '01 XJ last year and while doing that, I added a new Champion 3-Core All Aluminum Radiator as my OE unit was horribly clogged. Well, that radiator lasted all of 1 week before the seems started leaking. Put in a call/email to the vendor I purchased it from and he didn't have any 3-core units available. He did however send out a 2-core (plus a refund of the price difference) and I installed that radiator and everything was good w/the universe...

Last night I went out to run an errand or two after getting home from work... and noticed a small puddle in the driveway, which led to some further investigation and now this 2-core Champion radiator is leaking f/the drivers side seam. WTH?!?! This one has been in just under 1 year and it's leaking too. I emailed the vendor but haven't heard back yet... could be I'm just out and will have to buy another one.

Not sure if I could find someone to weld up the aluminum tank or not around here since I rarely see any 'radiator repair' shops anymore. Guess radiators are all throw-away since most OE units are plastic, or partly plastic.

All this to say, buyer beware if you're purchasing a Champion All-Aluminum Radiator. Not sure I'd even want a replacement of the same brand if it was offered. I'd rather just have my $$ back to pick up a CSF unit f/radiatorbarn. Have had very good luck using those in the past in multiple vehicles.

I have used radiator barn all metal radiators in the past and have nothing but good to say about them. If this doesn't work out then that's my next option to be sure.

I heard back f/the original retailer and the Champion Radiators are covered under a lifetime warranty. Also, they have the 3-core units in stock and will do a swap... but still working out the details. He also mentioned they reinforced the top and bottom plate to decrease any flex and hopefully prevent future problems. Hopefully this will be the last time I have to replace the radiator in this particular XJ. :)

I'll chime in with my Champion radiator experience: my American Eagle 2-row(1" cores) has a pin-hole leak on the fill/neck weld. No biggie in my case cause it can be tacked(when I feel like taking it out in the spring), but whoever welds there obviously is a newbie or rushes and is super sloppy and they don't pressure check/temp check these units before they leave the shop(or else there wouldn't be so many issues). It's my first all-aluminium radiator experience and it does a great job keeping the Jeep cool in the summer compared to the stock one. Looks kinda cool behind the grill too.

Followup...

Spoke to the retailer where the Champion radiator was purchased. They agreed to a warranty replacement. However, here's the catch... and I'd like some input f/other in how you'd feel.

They only have the 3-Core Champion Radiators in stock, which would require an up-charge of ~ $20. Also, I'd have to pay shipping for the replacement radiator of $29.99 AND I'd have to pay $220 for the replacement radiator (until the leaking radiator is returned) AND I'd have to pay $29.99 to return the defective radiator... WTH?!?!?

This is not what I'd call customer service, it's them trying to make more $$ off me! Not only would I have to pay for all that, but I also have to buy new coolant ... AGAIN!! This would be ~ 7 Gallons of coolant +/- in the past year because of replacing 2 radiators and now onto the 3rd.

I could see spending the extra $20 for the upgraded radiator... but in my opinion they should cover the shipping (both ways) and not charge for the replacement radiator (assuming the defective one gets shipped back, which it would...)

Looks like I'm going to spend my $220 +/- elsewhere and will NEVER NEVER NEVER recommend or buy another Champion product and will be sure and share my experience w/others who inquire.

I can understand the core charge since they want to make sure the old radiator is returned, but they should just take down your credit card number.
You need to contact them again and tell them that their solution is unacceptable and that they should provide a RA (return authorization) in which they pay for return shipping.

I can understand the core charge since they want to make sure the old radiator is returned, but they should just take down your credit card number.

Agreed and I'd do that. That was never even offered up. I think I'll call them today and see if that's an option.

My other concern is... how long will this replacement last? Will I get another few months out of this or will it be good for many years to come?? Not sure I want to mess w/installing another one.

Back